Sylvester Center strives to treat, comfort patients

Inside UM’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, tucked away in a forgotten corner of a reception area, is a simple testament to the services provided by the Center.

It is a banner from the 2011 Dolphin Cycling Challenge, signed by the cancer survivors who gathered for the end of the ride at Sun Life Stadium.

The challenge is an annual two-day bike ride that spans across Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. In order to participate, riders pledge to raise money based on how many miles they ride. All proceeds go to the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Most of the scrawled messages are brief: “I love you Dr. Goodwin,” “Thanks for my second chance at life” and “Never again.”

This year on Nov. 3 and 4, the Dolphin Cycling Challenge will take over the roads of South Florida again as riders look to beat last year’s fundraising accomplishment of $1,070,000.

“This is a very worthy cause,” said Connie Nickel, assistant director at the Wellness Center, who was treated for breast cancer at Sylvester.

In 2011, Sylvester received approximately 4,000 new cancer patients, treated about 32,000 patients with chemotherapy and operated on approximately 2,400 patients.

Felicia McTiller, 31, is battling against her third bout of cancer at Sylvester. For McTiller, Sylvester’s option to receive treatment without being admitted is “a lifesaver.”

“I really could not see myself choosing another facility,” she said. “UM is on the cutting-edge of everything.”

According to Dr. Stephen Nimer, the director of Sylvester, the Center is focused on improving the patient experience.

“The idea is there are supports that can be given to adults with cancer to make the experience better: acupuncture, massage therapy, relaxation techniques,” he said.

For children, Sylvester recently launched Alex’s Place, a new pediatric oncology clinic that features interactive displays and large play areas.

“The kids love it,” said Jessica Ardente, a nurse practitioner who works at Alex’s Place. “It’s like someone breathed fresh air into the clinic.”

Sylvester also invests in cancer research.

“We have so much progress to make, prolonging the life of patients with cancer, relieving pain, curing cancer,” Nimer said.

One of the advantages of doing research at Sylvester is what Nimer, who is now researching leukemia, describes as “big science.”

“Big science involves multiple labs. It’s when you go across different disciplines,” he said.

Most research projects eventually translate into improved treatment options for patients.

Dr. Krishna Komanduri has worked at Sylvester since 2008 and focuses on stem cell transplantation.

Under his supervision, the Center has gone from conducting about 45 stem cell transplants a year in 2008 to 20 transplants in July and August of this year alone.

At the end of the day, Sylvester’s main goal is to make sure that patients are able to be diagnosed and receive treatment at the center.

“We believe strongly that where you are diagnosed with cancer is important,” Nimer said. “Sylvester doesn’t just want to take care of people after they have failed chemotherapy elsewhere.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...