News, Obituaries

Physics professor passed away Wednesday

courtesy UM Physics

Professor Josef Ashkenazi, known to some as “Yossi,” passed away last Wednesday. Ashkenazi, who was born in Beit Hanan, Israel, in 1944, had been teaching at the University of Miami for the past 24 years.

Ashkenazi attended Hebrew University in Jerusalem, graduating with a Ph.D. in physics. In 1988, he came to teach at the University of Miami, where he became a tenured professor.

According to an obituary published in The Miami Herald, Ashkenazi had been publishing work in the field of superconductivity until recently.

Kenneth Voss, physics professor and chairman for UM’s Department of Physics, began teaching at the university around the same time as Ashkenazi. The two professors worked together, at one point co-teaching an introductory physics course.

“It was fun to teach with him because Yossi always took care of the details,” Voss said.

With his help, James Nearing, a UM professor who retired last May, will take over the class, according to Voss.

“Yossi was extremely organized and had lots of energy,” Voss said. “He was always done ahead of time. His energy in the department will be missed. It’s going to be hard. He was a positive and optimistic person.”

Voss said that it was quiet in the physics department the Thursday and Friday after he died.

Senior Liliana Paan was in Ashkenazi’s introductory physics course this semester. She remembers Ashkenazi’s cheerful demeanor.

“Even though I had professor Ashkenazi for only two months, you felt how caring he was for his students and the love he had for physics,” said Paan, a psychology major. “He made going to class enjoyable by incorporating jokes and demonstrations into his lectures. There wasn’t one class he did not smile and crack a joke.”

Senior Sara Gutekunst also took Ashkenazi’s introductory physics course this semester. She was hesitant about taking physics, but was surprised to see how Ashkenazi conducted his class.

“He made it fun. It wasn’t too difficult,” she said. “It was a great surprise. I really liked him as a teacher. He was pretty humorous and I enjoyed the class.”

Though Gutekunst believes she is sure they will replace him with a good teacher, she will miss his energy and the way he taught.

“I’m going to miss him,” Gutekunst said. “I was really stunned when they told us he had passed away.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...