Esquire Comics owner discusses the importance of law in pop culture

Attorney and avid comic dealer Mark Zaid stopped by the University of Miami’s School of Law on Oct. 1 to discuss the intricate relationship between law and pop culture, particularly dealing with comics.

Zaid, who is also the owner of Esquire Comics, almost seems like a modern-day superhero as he specializes in matters of national security and defending the rights of federal employees. In Zaid’s lecture, “Superheroes in the Courtroom: Law, Lawyers and Comic Books,” he overviewed the history of comics and the influence of law in their creation and growth.

However, Zaid managed to put an interesting twist in the lecture; he not only focused on legal actions taken by and against comic companies, but also how comics often introduced law into their story lines. Many characters held surprising roles in the legal profession; the Vigilante was a district attorney and later a judge as he fought crime at night; the She Hulk was a lawyer by day.

He later discussed the role of lawyers in the battle for patents and copyrights. As superheroes evolved into more well-known and profitable characters, there were many companies trying to stake a claim in their success. Lawyers were there to defend the creators’ rights to the characters and story lines as well as preventing censorship regarding a comic’s content.

Comics’ self-regulation wouldn’t have been possible without the help of lawyers. If comics hadn’t avoided government censorship, they could have lost their voice and presence in pop culture, as Zaid mentioned in his lecture.

Zaid allowed students to see the many ways laws influence pop culture and managed to excite some students about the possibilities in law.

UM student Alyssa Williams enjoyed how different this discussion was from most of the others presented by UM’s School of Law.

“It was a nice change,” she said. “My favorite superhero is Captain America as of right now!”

Sarah Hall

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...