Esquire Comics owner discusses the importance of law in pop culture

Attorney and avid comic dealer Mark Zaid stopped by the University of Miami’s School of Law on Oct. 1 to discuss the intricate relationship between law and pop culture, particularly dealing with comics.

Zaid, who is also the owner of Esquire Comics, almost seems like a modern-day superhero as he specializes in matters of national security and defending the rights of federal employees. In Zaid’s lecture, “Superheroes in the Courtroom: Law, Lawyers and Comic Books,” he overviewed the history of comics and the influence of law in their creation and growth.

However, Zaid managed to put an interesting twist in the lecture; he not only focused on legal actions taken by and against comic companies, but also how comics often introduced law into their story lines. Many characters held surprising roles in the legal profession; the Vigilante was a district attorney and later a judge as he fought crime at night; the She Hulk was a lawyer by day.

He later discussed the role of lawyers in the battle for patents and copyrights. As superheroes evolved into more well-known and profitable characters, there were many companies trying to stake a claim in their success. Lawyers were there to defend the creators’ rights to the characters and story lines as well as preventing censorship regarding a comic’s content.

Comics’ self-regulation wouldn’t have been possible without the help of lawyers. If comics hadn’t avoided government censorship, they could have lost their voice and presence in pop culture, as Zaid mentioned in his lecture.

Zaid allowed students to see the many ways laws influence pop culture and managed to excite some students about the possibilities in law.

UM student Alyssa Williams enjoyed how different this discussion was from most of the others presented by UM’s School of Law.

“It was a nice change,” she said. “My favorite superhero is Captain America as of right now!”

Sarah Hall

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...