News Briefs – 10/1

GRADUATION

Students planning to graduate at the end of the fall 2012 semester must apply online at myUM by Friday. Eligible students who are scheduled to complete their degree requirements in the fall must apply by the deadline to participate in commencement, order their caps and gowns, and be included in the program book. The Fall 2012 Commencement will be held on Dec. 13 at 10 a.m. for all undergraduate and graduate degrees in the BankUnited Center. For more information about commencement, visit miami.edu/commencement.

RELAY FOR LIFE

Relay for Life is hosting its kick off event on Tuesday at 6 p.m. on the Rock. Students can stop by to learn more about Relay for Life and how to register for the 2013 relay. There will be food, giveaways and a performance by the dance group KAOS. Relay for Life is an 18-hour walk that raises money for the American Cancer Society. For more information, email umiamirelay@gmail.com or visit relayforlife.org/cgfl to register.

UNITED NATIONS DAY

The Council of International Student Organizations is hosting United Nations Day 2012: It’s in Your Hands on Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the Green. Students can explore an interactive experience about international issues, focusing on human rights. The event will help students learn how to take on a more proactive role and be “global citizens.”

Peace corps

Learn about the Peace Corps from UM President Donna E. Shalala on Tuesday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Toppel Career Center. The Peace Corps is actively recruiting UM students and alumni for thousands of volunteer opportunities in the following work areas: education, health, business development, information and communications technology, agriculture, environment, and youth and community development. RSVP online at peacecorps.gov/meet/events/288/.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.