Connect with your professors

They’re weird, crabby and awkward. They’re not like us.  They’re our professors.

As students, we often write our professors off and speak to them as little as possible, in hopes that they will just let us go in peace.

Three years ago, I stepped into one of my freshman classes for the first time and had judgmental thoughts about one of my professors. He was incredibly smart, socially awkward, sweaty and kind of weird. He laughed at his own jokes, refused to look me in the eye and was constantly dabbing his sweat.

Later in the semester I was struggling with the material and went to his office hours. His office was an exact reflection of his personality. It was a disaster: papers, books and Starbucks cups everywhere.

An hour later, I walked out of the Ashe building with a smile spread across my face. My professor was much more relaxed than he was in class, had an awesome sarcastic sense of humor and really helped me out. Of course he was still slightly awkward, but let’s face it, we all are.

After meeting with him that first time, we developed a relationship. Two years later, he wrote me a letter of recommendation.

Had I not had this experience, I doubt I would have initiated the relationships that I have with multiple professors today. We think that professors could never relate to us, but they do. I have seen one of my professors out in South Beach, which I initially thought would be extremely awkward, but it was surprisingly pleasant.

Most professors want to be there for us. For the most part, they’re stuck talking to students all day who don’t want to be there. Be the student who stands out in their mind.

Not only are they great resources for paper advice, recommendation letters and internships, but they are also funny, give great advice and can even connect you with a future employer.

Nicole Spiteri is a senior majoring in English literature.

Nicole Spiteri

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...