Concerts worth seeing around Miami

EDM isn’t the only genre that has made its way into Miami’s music scene. However, because of the well-known DJs that take over South Beach on the weekends, other musicians’ concerts are often overlooked. But this fall, local venues are welcoming artists of all genres, and there’s no reason you should miss any of them. Here’s a guide to some of the best upcoming concerts in Miami.

1. Taking Back Sunday

Known for their hits like “MakeDamnSure” and “Liar,” this punk-rock band is staying busy. Following a stint at the Vans Warped Tour and a performance at Penn State’s homecoming concert, the band will be dropping by Revolution Live as part of its Tell All Your Friends tour celebrating its 10-year anniversary.

Taking Back Sunday released its first album, “Tell All Your Friends,” back in 2002, which included hits like “Timberwolves at New Jersey” and “Great Romances of the 20th Century.” If you need a break from all the auto-tuned pop music out there, this can serve as your remedy. Join the band for a trip down memory lane as they relive the songs that gave them their start. Whether you’re hearing them again or for the first time, it’s worth the trip. Be sure to get moving and order your tickets in advance.

The concert is on Nov. 7 at 8 p.m. Tickets are being sold for $27.50 in advance and $30.00 the day of. Revolution Live is located at 100 SW 3rd Ave., Ft. Lauderdale. Call 954-727-0950 or visit ticketmaster.com.

2. Ingrid Michaelson featuring SUGAR + THE HI-LOWS

Ingrid Michaelson will swing by Culture Room on the heels of her newly released album, “Human Again,” for a special performance. The well-known indie-pop artist’s international Fall Acoustic Tour starts off in New York and ends in Cork, Ireland. Anyone who’s been around a TV or radio in the past few years has most likely found themselves humming the lyrics to “The Way I Am,” in which the singer offers up her sweater to her chilly lover.

The hit, which was featured in an Old Navy commercial, was just the start of her career. Since releasing “Girls and Boys” in 2006, she has consistently put out albums each year, with the exception of 2011. Don’t miss the indie sweetheart’s cozy acoustic performance in Ft. Lauderdale.

The concert is on Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are being sold for $25. Culture Room is located at 3045 North Federal Highway, Ft. Lauderdale. Call 954-564-1074 or visit ticketmaster.com.

3. SUM 41

SUM 41 will also hit the Culture Room as part of its “Does This Look Infected?” tour, which celebrates the 10th anniversary of the album. Talk about nostalgia. The band will showcase hits like “Still Waiting” and “The Hell Song,” songs that take you back to the day when punk was everywhere; long before front man Deryck Whibley romanced a certain skater girl known as Avril Lavigne. This event wraps up their North American tour, which is in its final leg. At a small venue like the Culture Room, fans will get the opportunity to see the band a bit more up close than usual. Plus, it’s only $20. And with the band’s high energy, they’ll have even the most resistant of fans diving into the nearest mosh pit.

The concert is on Dec. 9 at 7 p.m. and tickets are being sold for $20. Culture Room is located at 3045 North Federal Highway, Ft. Lauderdale. Call 954-564-1074 or visit ticketmaster.com.

4. 10 Years featuring Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Venejer

The hard rock band’s Cutting Like Knives tour reaches Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 14. This national tour, following the release of their new album “Minus The Machines,” will feature Fair To Midland’s Ryan Collier on bass guitar. Collier will be filling in for Lewis Cosby, who is soon to be a new father, according to the band’s official website.

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus of Middleburg, Fla., will join 10 Years as will hard rock band Venejer. With three bands on the menu, this tour offers up a sweet deal at a good price for those of us who are still hurting from the cost of textbooks and school supplies.

The concert is on Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. and tickets are being sold for $16.50 in advance and $18 the day of. Revolution Live is located at 100 SW 3rd Ave., Ft. Lauderdale. Call 954-727-0950 or visit ticketmaster.com.

5. Sean Paul

Sean Paul’s Jamaican dancehall beat will soon touch down at Revolution Live, featuring music off his 2012 album, “Tomahawk Technique.” The Grammy-winning artist has tracks with Pitbull, Kelly Rowland and Alexis Jordon on this album and recently worked with electro DJ Congorock on “Bless di Nation.”

With his recent radio hits like “She Doesn’t Mind” and “How Deep Is Your Love,” chances are this will sell out quickly so act fast.

The concert is on Oct. 11 at 8 p.m., and tickets are being sold for $26.50 in advance and $28 the day of. Revolution Live is located at 100 SW 3rd Ave., Ft. Lauderdale. Call 954-727-0950 or visit ticketmaster.com.

Ashley Zimmerman

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...