The icing on the cupcake: Miami’s best desserts

Miami has always been known for a few things: cocaine, beaches and terrible drivers, just to name a few. But one of the most commonly overlooked aspects of the Magic City is its incredible food. The multitude of cultures present in Miami has made way for many a delicious dessert.

Armed with this understanding, The Miami Hurricane set off to find the best desserts in Miami. What resulted was a two-day dessert eating bender so intense it would have made Jenny Craig blush. Here are the results of the investigation.

Miami’s Best Ice Cream: Whip ‘n Dip

Owned and operated by UM alumnus George Giampetro, Whip ‘n Dip has been serving homemade ice cream to the masses since 1985. With flavors like donuts and milk, s’mores and cream, and seasonal flavors like pumpkin pie, fresh mango and sweet potato, you’ll find that choosing your favorite Whip ‘n Dip flavor is a lot like choosing your favorite Victoria’s Secret model … impossible.

Small cones are only about $2.50 and they run specials for UM students like sorority Mondays, when UM sorority sisters receive 50 percent discounts if they wear their letters.

Whip ‘n Dip is located at 1407 Sunset Drive, South Miami.

Miami’s Best Tres Leches: Hillstone

If you haven’t eaten at Hillstone yet, then you need to reevaluate your dining choices. The menu includes some of the best steaks in town and their made-to-order sushi bar is incredible.

But the best part of this dining experience may just be the dessert. Nowhere in Miami will you find a better tres leches than at Hillstone.

Served with fresh bananas, strawberries, blackberries, and drizzled in warm caramel with a healthy portion of fresh cream, the presentation of this dish is truly something to behold.

The cake itself is otherworldly. It has a sweet, creamy and smooth texture that holds within it an incredible rich taste, yet it remains light as air and has a clean finish, unlike many other tres leches you will try.

Plus, with portions large enough to share for just $8, it’s affordable for a college student.

Hillstone is located at 201 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.

Miami’s Best Cupcakes: Buttercream Bakery

Apologies to those of you who frequent Misha’s or LA Sweets, but Buttercream Bakery makes the best damn cupcakes in Miami. The cupcakes are simple, with a concentration on substance instead of frivolous style. The end result is the perfect cupcake.

The red velvet cupcake is a smooth and plenty large masterpiece, topped with the perfect amount of sweet icing on top, and served with a sugary candy heart on top. The double chocolate cupcake is something from another planet, with a decadent fudge taste akin to what you might find in a chocolate sundae but with a light and airy finish.

However, the piece de resistance is the vanilla Oreo cupcake. The dessert encapsulates the classic taste of Oreos dipped in milk. The biggest problem with the Oreo cupcake is that, just like dipping Oreos in milk, you’ll always find it impossible to eat just one.

Buttercream Bakery is located at 1411 Sunset Drive, South Miami.

Miami’s Best Souffle: Calimari Italian Restaurant

Normally when making a souffle, chefs will stick with the time-tested favorites of either cheese or chocolate. So perhaps it is fitting that the best souffle in Miami is also the most original.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Grand Marnier souffle from Calimari is, without a doubt, the most creative take on the souffle. Served with a shot of Grand Marnier that you can either shoot or drizzle over the dessert, it is absolutely impeccable.

The cake is hot and perfectly light, with a faint citrus finish. It is paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which contrasts the daring and imaginative taste of the Grand Marnier. And for only $9, your taste buds will thank you.

Calimari Italian Restaurant is located at 3540 Main Highway, Coconut Grove.