Together, college students make votes count

You’re at home watching coverage of the political campaign on CNN, and you make a comment about something one of the candidates says. Instead of getting a response in return, your parents say, “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

College students are often brushed off and ignored when they talk politics. For this reason, we continue to carry the negative reputation of being politically uninterested and uninformed.

However, with this election, we’re breaking that stereotype.

The Miami Hurricane conducted a poll on its website regarding the 2012 election season. Within two days, the poll received nearly 300 votes per question.

These students don’t seem politically uninterested nor uninformed.

Our survey asked students nine questions relating to voter registration, political party affiliation and important issues affecting the nation.

Results revealed that the majority of students at the University of Miami who participated are registered voters, primarily Democrat, and believe the economy is the most important issue facing the youth right now.

Satirical programs such as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and increased communication with presidential candidates through social media outlets have given American youth more momentum and political knowledge to take to the polls. The youth is ready to vote.

In past generations, it may have been true that the youth was in the dark about presidential candidate platforms and political policies, but it is time to move on.

As the world turns, the youth is evolving and politics is becoming second nature.

Students have realized that politics can make or break their futures. Job opportunities, economic growth and college debt depend on the candidates we vote into office.

Each political party is grounded on a certain belief system, and it is up to us to decide what system we will endorse for a greater tomorrow.

It is more than a red and blue color affiliation. It is more than an elephant and a donkey. It is more than a sticker saying, “I voted today.”

It is our lives that we are putting in the hands of one man, President Barack Obama or Republican presidential candidate Gov. Mitt Romney.

Separately, we are just a whisper. But together, we are a voice. And that voice can be expressed on a ballot, just 47 days away.

It is up to us. We are the difference.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...