Referenda could increase student fees for fall 2013

Next week, the financial future of two student organizations will be decided.

Student Government (SG) elections will be held Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the UC Breezeway. The ballot includes two referenda that could increase the student activity fee by a total of $6.75 for fall 2013.

“We had a great voter turnout in the spring, and we hope we can carry that momentum into fall elections,” SG press secretary AJ Ricketts said.

Ibis Yearbook is looking to pass a referendum that will increase the student activity fee by $3 per student per semester.

The Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) has slashed the yearbook’s budget to approximately half of what it was in 2003, editor-in-chief Sandra Montalvo said.

If the referendum passes, next year’s freshmen will pay $24 dollars over four years for four yearbooks, or $6 per book. Current students will pay even less.

If it fails, the staff will be forced to sell the books for $60 to $80, Montalvo said.

“People are eager to help out the yearbook, because it’s something they have a potential to be in,” she said.

Also on the ballot is a referendum that would allocate $3.75 to the Federation of Club Sports, which comprises 44 club sports.

Leading the effort is Brian Van Cleave, an office assistant at the Wellness Center who oversees the budgets of all club sports.

According to Van Cleave, the club sports had approximately $300,000 in expenses last year.

“After the end of last semester, I noticed that we were running a $20,000 deficit, and there were still more things that clubs wanted to do,” he said.

The clubs were forced to dip into their savings to cover the remaining amount. This problem will continue to grow as more sports join the federation and request funding, but it can be solved if the referendum passes, Van Cleave said.

“These sports often represent UM because often there isn’t a varsity team,” said Van Cleave, a member of TriCanes, the club triathlon team.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...