Political author talks religious oppression, media bias

In a sea of misleading news stories and faulty perceptions, Mark Juergensmeyer stands out with a raw, sincere voice.

He will share his refreshing insight on the weighty topics that flood today’s media, along with an outline of his new book, “Global Rebellion: Religious Challenges to the Secular State,” on Thursday at the Newman Alumni Center. The event, which starts at 7 p.m., is free and open to the public.

The Miami Hurricane had a chance to talk to Juergensmeyer before his event and discuss recent events in the Middle East, religious oppression, and the ways in which misconceptions lead to social discord on a global level.

The Miami Hurricane: You recently wrote the book “Global Rebellion: Religious Challenges to the Secular State,” which provides us with an in-depth look at how religious conflict is affecting the 21st century. What made you want to study religious violence in the first place?

Mark Juergensmeyer: I’d been interested in issues of religion and politics pretty much all of my adult life. It’s something I’d studied in graduate school, something I’d been interested in … To tell you the truth I came from a family in which on my mother’s side there were preachers, and on my father’s side there were politicians. Religion and politics were already in my blood.

TMH: How biased is the media, and how does it influence the way we as Americans feel about what goes on in terms of our relationships with other countries?

MJ: Well, everybody’s biased. I’m biased, you’re biased … because you look at things through your own frame of reference. That’s the advantage of talking with people directly who have a totally different perspective than you do, and sometimes you’re jolted into seeing the world quite differently than they do. For example, most of the people who are involved in acts of violence, even terrorism – what looks like terrorism to us – see their community and maybe even themselves personally as under siege, as oppressed, under attack, under violence. And they feel like they’re trying to defend or protect themselves. That’s totally different from the way we see them, if we see them as horrible, evil people out to get us. [Laughs] And if somebody’s out to get you, of course you see them that way, but they don’t see themselves that way. So it’s very helpful to see how they see things.

TMH: What ideas do you wish to leave your audience with after coming to see you speak? Do you want to change how they view what’s going on in the world right now?

MJ: Sure, yes, and to see that these events don’t come out of nowhere, they come out of somewhere, they come out of people’s perceptions, and sometimes these perceptions have a certain validity in their own — in a sense of oppression, or invitation, but in any event to magnify their conditions through images of cosmic war, is a fantasy. And we shouldn’t buy into it, and to exaggerate it, and our response to it, is a way of buying into it, and that’s equally bad. We then become part of the problem. And that’s why you say, “Is this situation in the Middle East going to continue?” It depends in part on how we respond.

TMH: What would be the best way to respond?

MJ: To say, “We know most Muslims don’t behave like this.” The initial response of the American embassy in Egypt was absolutely the right response. And that is to say that, “Look, this stupid film has nothing to do with us. We are as shocked and horrified as you are. Islam is part of the fabric of American religious life. … This offends us as much as it does you.”

For more information about Juergensmeyer’s lecture, visit humanities.miami.edu/calendar.

Hunter Wright

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...