News briefs – 9/20

Newsbreak

UMTV began its newest program, NewsBreak, on Monday. Each day during NewsBreak, a different host provides 90-second updates on the latest on-campus news. This week, the hosts covered the Univision events live from outside of the BankUnited Center. When they are not live at the scene, reporters will be streaming from the School of Communication studios. The latest NewsBreak will be available by noon, according to Julian Glover, UMTV station manager.

“We hope that NewsBreak is as compelling as it is informational, and exposes students to events, ideas or various aspects of campus life that they were not aware of before,” he said. For more information, visit NewsBreak’s Facebook page at facebook.com/UMTVNewsBreak. For upcoming videos, visit vimeo.com/UMTVSoC.

Film screening

As a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT), graduate student Noah DeBonis created a short documentary titled “DO TELL” about the effects of the repeal on gay and lesbian service members in a small Air Force base in northern Japan. The film will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The one-time screening is free and open to the public. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Majors fair

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting its eleventh annual Majors and Minors Fair at the Herbert Wellness Center on Oct. 1 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The fair will help educate undeclared students and those considering a major change on the purpose of a particular major and its requirements. Faculty, staff and student representatives from all of the colleges will be present to answer questions and address any concerns about a certain field. The event will also feature free pizza, raffle giveaways and prizes such as a Nexus 7 tablet. The Majors Fair is part of a series of programs called CANE Explorers that helps students connect their academic goals with possible careers after graduation. In November, a second event, as part of this series, will be focused on careers. For more information, visit hireacane.com.

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will be celebrating its tenth anniversary on Saturday. Since its inception at UM in 2002, Gandhi Day allows students to volunteer throughout the Miami community with more than 20 organizations. This year the list includes Bill Baggs State Park, CHARLEE Homes for Children, the Miami River Commission and Shake a Leg Miami. It is estimated that more than 750 students will be participating this Saturday. Each site requires different service projects, but they often have students painting buildings, retaining walls and mentoring children. For more information, visit umgandhiday.com or contact the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

Senate elections

From Monday to Sept. 26 in the UC Breezeway, students can vote for their Student Government Senate representatives. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day. Results will be announced Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock. For more information, visit miami.edu/sg or email Kimberly Thompson, the chairperson of elections commission at k.thompson12@umiami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzales@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...