News briefs – 9/20

Newsbreak

UMTV began its newest program, NewsBreak, on Monday. Each day during NewsBreak, a different host provides 90-second updates on the latest on-campus news. This week, the hosts covered the Univision events live from outside of the BankUnited Center. When they are not live at the scene, reporters will be streaming from the School of Communication studios. The latest NewsBreak will be available by noon, according to Julian Glover, UMTV station manager.

“We hope that NewsBreak is as compelling as it is informational, and exposes students to events, ideas or various aspects of campus life that they were not aware of before,” he said. For more information, visit NewsBreak’s Facebook page at facebook.com/UMTVNewsBreak. For upcoming videos, visit vimeo.com/UMTVSoC.

Film screening

As a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT), graduate student Noah DeBonis created a short documentary titled “DO TELL” about the effects of the repeal on gay and lesbian service members in a small Air Force base in northern Japan. The film will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The one-time screening is free and open to the public. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Majors fair

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting its eleventh annual Majors and Minors Fair at the Herbert Wellness Center on Oct. 1 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The fair will help educate undeclared students and those considering a major change on the purpose of a particular major and its requirements. Faculty, staff and student representatives from all of the colleges will be present to answer questions and address any concerns about a certain field. The event will also feature free pizza, raffle giveaways and prizes such as a Nexus 7 tablet. The Majors Fair is part of a series of programs called CANE Explorers that helps students connect their academic goals with possible careers after graduation. In November, a second event, as part of this series, will be focused on careers. For more information, visit hireacane.com.

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will be celebrating its tenth anniversary on Saturday. Since its inception at UM in 2002, Gandhi Day allows students to volunteer throughout the Miami community with more than 20 organizations. This year the list includes Bill Baggs State Park, CHARLEE Homes for Children, the Miami River Commission and Shake a Leg Miami. It is estimated that more than 750 students will be participating this Saturday. Each site requires different service projects, but they often have students painting buildings, retaining walls and mentoring children. For more information, visit umgandhiday.com or contact the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

Senate elections

From Monday to Sept. 26 in the UC Breezeway, students can vote for their Student Government Senate representatives. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day. Results will be announced Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock. For more information, visit miami.edu/sg or email Kimberly Thompson, the chairperson of elections commission at k.thompson12@umiami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzales@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...