News briefs – 9/20

Newsbreak

UMTV began its newest program, NewsBreak, on Monday. Each day during NewsBreak, a different host provides 90-second updates on the latest on-campus news. This week, the hosts covered the Univision events live from outside of the BankUnited Center. When they are not live at the scene, reporters will be streaming from the School of Communication studios. The latest NewsBreak will be available by noon, according to Julian Glover, UMTV station manager.

“We hope that NewsBreak is as compelling as it is informational, and exposes students to events, ideas or various aspects of campus life that they were not aware of before,” he said. For more information, visit NewsBreak’s Facebook page at facebook.com/UMTVNewsBreak. For upcoming videos, visit vimeo.com/UMTVSoC.

Film screening

As a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT), graduate student Noah DeBonis created a short documentary titled “DO TELL” about the effects of the repeal on gay and lesbian service members in a small Air Force base in northern Japan. The film will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The one-time screening is free and open to the public. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Majors fair

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting its eleventh annual Majors and Minors Fair at the Herbert Wellness Center on Oct. 1 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The fair will help educate undeclared students and those considering a major change on the purpose of a particular major and its requirements. Faculty, staff and student representatives from all of the colleges will be present to answer questions and address any concerns about a certain field. The event will also feature free pizza, raffle giveaways and prizes such as a Nexus 7 tablet. The Majors Fair is part of a series of programs called CANE Explorers that helps students connect their academic goals with possible careers after graduation. In November, a second event, as part of this series, will be focused on careers. For more information, visit hireacane.com.

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will be celebrating its tenth anniversary on Saturday. Since its inception at UM in 2002, Gandhi Day allows students to volunteer throughout the Miami community with more than 20 organizations. This year the list includes Bill Baggs State Park, CHARLEE Homes for Children, the Miami River Commission and Shake a Leg Miami. It is estimated that more than 750 students will be participating this Saturday. Each site requires different service projects, but they often have students painting buildings, retaining walls and mentoring children. For more information, visit umgandhiday.com or contact the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

Senate elections

From Monday to Sept. 26 in the UC Breezeway, students can vote for their Student Government Senate representatives. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day. Results will be announced Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock. For more information, visit miami.edu/sg or email Kimberly Thompson, the chairperson of elections commission at k.thompson12@umiami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzales@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...