News briefs – 9/20

Newsbreak

UMTV began its newest program, NewsBreak, on Monday. Each day during NewsBreak, a different host provides 90-second updates on the latest on-campus news. This week, the hosts covered the Univision events live from outside of the BankUnited Center. When they are not live at the scene, reporters will be streaming from the School of Communication studios. The latest NewsBreak will be available by noon, according to Julian Glover, UMTV station manager.

“We hope that NewsBreak is as compelling as it is informational, and exposes students to events, ideas or various aspects of campus life that they were not aware of before,” he said. For more information, visit NewsBreak’s Facebook page at facebook.com/UMTVNewsBreak. For upcoming videos, visit vimeo.com/UMTVSoC.

Film screening

As a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT), graduate student Noah DeBonis created a short documentary titled “DO TELL” about the effects of the repeal on gay and lesbian service members in a small Air Force base in northern Japan. The film will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. The one-time screening is free and open to the public. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Majors fair

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting its eleventh annual Majors and Minors Fair at the Herbert Wellness Center on Oct. 1 from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. The fair will help educate undeclared students and those considering a major change on the purpose of a particular major and its requirements. Faculty, staff and student representatives from all of the colleges will be present to answer questions and address any concerns about a certain field. The event will also feature free pizza, raffle giveaways and prizes such as a Nexus 7 tablet. The Majors Fair is part of a series of programs called CANE Explorers that helps students connect their academic goals with possible careers after graduation. In November, a second event, as part of this series, will be focused on careers. For more information, visit hireacane.com.

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will be celebrating its tenth anniversary on Saturday. Since its inception at UM in 2002, Gandhi Day allows students to volunteer throughout the Miami community with more than 20 organizations. This year the list includes Bill Baggs State Park, CHARLEE Homes for Children, the Miami River Commission and Shake a Leg Miami. It is estimated that more than 750 students will be participating this Saturday. Each site requires different service projects, but they often have students painting buildings, retaining walls and mentoring children. For more information, visit umgandhiday.com or contact the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

Senate elections

From Monday to Sept. 26 in the UC Breezeway, students can vote for their Student Government Senate representatives. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. each day. Results will be announced Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock. For more information, visit miami.edu/sg or email Kimberly Thompson, the chairperson of elections commission at k.thompson12@umiami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzales@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...