Five quick tips to keep fresh, clean during fall semester

With the semester off to a quick start, you may forget about staying polished while you’re burying your nose in your textbooks – ends may split, nails may chip and brows may become unruly.

But staying fresh, clean and well-groomed doesn’t have to be so difficult. Check out these five tips for keeping a fresh face for the fall semester.

Manicure/pedicure

Nothing is as quick and easy (and inexpensive) as a manicure and a pedicure. Beyond Nails, located within Red Road Commons, will not only get the job done, but it’s also close to campus.

Sit back in the salon’s large black-vinyl pedicure chairs, and relax while you have your cuticles pushed back. And you’ll have a wide selection of Essie and OPI colors – they always carry the hottest hues!

For prices, call 305-669-0800. Beyond Nails is located at 6600 SW 57th Ave., South Miami. 

Hair

So your summer highlights have come and gone, and your roots are taking over. Or maybe you’re just desperate for a cut and a blowout. Either way, H20 Salon & Spa has you covered. Ask for Maggie Ruiz and you’re  sure to leave the salon looking good; she’s great with everything from hair coloring to hair cuts. She even does the Keratin hair treatment for those who are sick of having frizzy hair due to Miami’s out-of-control humidity. And if you’re looking for full-on pampering, ask for Daris Diaz. She can do wonders with your nails, while Maggie is perfecting your locks.

For prices and to make an appointment, call 305-446-9818. H20 Salon & Spa is located at 1400 Salzedo St., Suite 105, Coral Gables.

Makeup

Wearing makeup to school every day can clog pores and even hurt your eyes. Still, there’s no need to look like an ogre in class, especially when YouTube has the answers to your makeup woes. Check out Carli Bybel’s YouTube channel. She has dozens of tutorials and how-to videos available. And, best of all, Carli instructs you on easy hair tips, too – all for free!

Visit Carli Bybel’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/carlibel5. 

Facial

Experts recommend facials at least two to three times a year to help keep pores clean. Still, facials tend to ooze hefty price tags. At Skin Institute in North Miami, specialists offer one-of-a-kind service for supreme results. Although it is a bit far from campus, the Skin Institute is worth the trip. The variety of massage and facial packages available, all for reasonable costs, make the trip worth the while.

For prices, call the Skin Institute at 305-371-7435, email skininstitute@aol.com or visit skininstituteusa.com. The Skin Institute is located at 13499 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami.

Eyebrows

If you’re looking to avoid caterpillar eyebrows, Nordstrom at Merrick Park’s Anastasia Brows department is the place to go. The department’s trained specialists won’t over-trim your eyebrows either. The experts know how to maintain clean, broad brows. Though eyebrow shaping costs $30, every dollar is truly worth it.

Nordstrom at Merrick Park is located at 4310 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. Call 786-999-1313 to make an appointment.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...