Lupe Fiasco to perform at Oct. 19 Homecoming concert

Photo courtesy press.atlanticrecords.com

Hurricane Productions (HP) has announced that Lupe Fiasco will perform at this year’s Homecoming concert on Oct. 19 at the BankUnited Center.

The announcement was made on Tuesday afternoon on the Rock.

“We just wanted a fun way of letting everyone know at the same time, orgs included,” said senior Julian Malagon, the concerts chair for HP. “In the past there has been a bit of controversy about who should be told first, so this avoided that issue.”

Each year, HP uses an online survey to gauge which performers students are most interested in seeing at Homecoming. Lupe was not included in this year’s survey, but he was among the top most voted for the 2011 concert.

“We involve the student body whenever feasible to provide the best events possible,” HP Chair Tanner Simkins said. “We developed a thorough survey system that we distributed via the university’s social media outlets.”

Student Government President Nawara Alawa is thrilled about HP’s announcement.

“I’m really excited because Lupe is actually my favorite rapper,” SG President Nawara Alawa said. “Congrats to HP for bringing such a big name to campus.”

Sophomore Caroline De Freitas is satisfied with this year’s Homecoming headliner, though she noted that other students would have enjoyed a change from the hip-hop artists that have performed at Homecoming the last few years.

“My exact reaction to hearing it was, ‘Lupe? I guess I can deal with that,’” De Freitas said. “It’s a free concert, so no one should be complaining. But I think a lot of students would’ve preferred a different style this year.”

Past performers include Ludacris who came to campus last October, Lauryn Hill who performed in 2010, and Common who headlined the 2009 concert.

Lupe declined HP’s offer to perform at last year’s concert, but this time around the two sides were able to coordinate timing and cost for the event.

“It worked out. He has an album coming out next week and fits the image that we wanted,” Malagon said.

In addition to his performance, WVUM will play Lupe’s music in Malagon’s specialty show, “The Hip Hop Shop.” Malagon said that his show aims to expose UM students to underground and old school music. Since most of Lupe’s music isn’t played on the radio, it struck the right balance between underground and popular.

Tickets to the performance will be available to students and alumni. HP will distribute floor and general admission passes starting Oct. 1 at the UC. Students may pick up additional guest tickets, if any are available, beginning Oct. 8.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Spencer Dandes

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...