Why leave tickets up to chance?

Many entered. Few won. And the losers were left in the dark.

Such were the results of a lottery system implemented to distribute student tickets for the Univision events featuring President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse this week.

When an email about the lottery was sent to the student body Tuesday evening, the Division of Student Affairs made it clear that priority access would be granted to student members of UM College Republicans, UM Young and College Democrats, and other affiliated organizations on campus including SpectrUM, Student Government and the Federacion for Estudiantes Cubanos.

What makes political organizations and their affiliates more entitled to an event than other organizations? Just because students don’t have an active civic role on campus does not mean they’re not interested in politics.

Because such a limited amount of tickets were available for these events, priority access should not have been granted. The organizations, which were guaranteed tickets, did not organize the candidates’ events. All students should have had the same opportunity to obtain a ticket.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but the chances to receive a ticket to the event should not be one in a million. It isn’t right that some students will be able to graduate UM with the memory of seeing Obama and Romney, while others only wished they had that memory.

Though the concept of a contest essentially means that some individuals aren’t going to win, all students should have been told whom the organizations affiliated with the political parties were. And students who were not granted a ticket should have been notified via email.

Space in the Fieldhouse may be limited, but the BankUnited Center holds up to 8,000 people. Therefore, it would be possible to stream the events live in the BUC and allow students to enter on a first come, first serve basis. If not, maybe no students should be allowed to attend.

We all have one thing in common: We can vote, and our votes can make a difference. Give us all the opportunity to participate.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...