Why leave tickets up to chance?

Many entered. Few won. And the losers were left in the dark.

Such were the results of a lottery system implemented to distribute student tickets for the Univision events featuring President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse this week.

When an email about the lottery was sent to the student body Tuesday evening, the Division of Student Affairs made it clear that priority access would be granted to student members of UM College Republicans, UM Young and College Democrats, and other affiliated organizations on campus including SpectrUM, Student Government and the Federacion for Estudiantes Cubanos.

What makes political organizations and their affiliates more entitled to an event than other organizations? Just because students don’t have an active civic role on campus does not mean they’re not interested in politics.

Because such a limited amount of tickets were available for these events, priority access should not have been granted. The organizations, which were guaranteed tickets, did not organize the candidates’ events. All students should have had the same opportunity to obtain a ticket.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but the chances to receive a ticket to the event should not be one in a million. It isn’t right that some students will be able to graduate UM with the memory of seeing Obama and Romney, while others only wished they had that memory.

Though the concept of a contest essentially means that some individuals aren’t going to win, all students should have been told whom the organizations affiliated with the political parties were. And students who were not granted a ticket should have been notified via email.

Space in the Fieldhouse may be limited, but the BankUnited Center holds up to 8,000 people. Therefore, it would be possible to stream the events live in the BUC and allow students to enter on a first come, first serve basis. If not, maybe no students should be allowed to attend.

We all have one thing in common: We can vote, and our votes can make a difference. Give us all the opportunity to participate.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...