Why leave tickets up to chance?

Many entered. Few won. And the losers were left in the dark.

Such were the results of a lottery system implemented to distribute student tickets for the Univision events featuring President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse this week.

When an email about the lottery was sent to the student body Tuesday evening, the Division of Student Affairs made it clear that priority access would be granted to student members of UM College Republicans, UM Young and College Democrats, and other affiliated organizations on campus including SpectrUM, Student Government and the Federacion for Estudiantes Cubanos.

What makes political organizations and their affiliates more entitled to an event than other organizations? Just because students don’t have an active civic role on campus does not mean they’re not interested in politics.

Because such a limited amount of tickets were available for these events, priority access should not have been granted. The organizations, which were guaranteed tickets, did not organize the candidates’ events. All students should have had the same opportunity to obtain a ticket.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but the chances to receive a ticket to the event should not be one in a million. It isn’t right that some students will be able to graduate UM with the memory of seeing Obama and Romney, while others only wished they had that memory.

Though the concept of a contest essentially means that some individuals aren’t going to win, all students should have been told whom the organizations affiliated with the political parties were. And students who were not granted a ticket should have been notified via email.

Space in the Fieldhouse may be limited, but the BankUnited Center holds up to 8,000 people. Therefore, it would be possible to stream the events live in the BUC and allow students to enter on a first come, first serve basis. If not, maybe no students should be allowed to attend.

We all have one thing in common: We can vote, and our votes can make a difference. Give us all the opportunity to participate.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...