Tickets for Romney’s campus visit available only for UM College Republicans

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s visit to campus Wednesday will only be open to members of the UM College Republicans or other closely affiliated organizations, according to an email sent on behalf of Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs. The other organizations have not been specified.

According to the email, which was sent to students who entered the lottery for tickets to the Romney event, the Romney campaign requested that tickets not be distributed to students who do not belong to the aforementioned organizations.

Romney and President Barack Obama will speak at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse on Sept. 19 and 20, respectively. Their visits are part of Univision broadcasts, and will be aired on the Spanish-language station after each event. Univision, a TV station with studios and operations in Doral, will conduct the event in a question and answer format, with questions asked in Spanish and candidates answering in English. Translations will be provided when necessary.

The small venue was selected based on considerations about the taping of the show, and Univision and each presidential campaign are responsible for distributing the remainder of the tickets.

Allison Goodman

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...