The Neighbourhood shines in debut EP

What happens when you throw Foster The People, Lana Del Rey, Audioslave and Gavin DeGraw into a musical blender? Stumped?  I don’t blame you!

Until recently, the five-piece indie rock group The Neighbourhood was flying under my radar as well. Coming across the face of the band’s debut EP, “I’m Sorry” was the first I even heard of these California indie-rockers. And in this age of house music with electronic beats and new rappers surfacing every day, I’ve steadily grown more skeptical when it comes to music recommendations.

But The Neighbourhood’s five-track EP defied my expectations, and they are definitely a new band to add to your watch list. This Newbury Park, Calif., group lays down beautiful and complex tracks, effortlessly intertwining bass-heavy beats with slick guitar riffs.

Lead singer Jesse James Rutherford’s hip-hop background gives the album an exciting pace as he flexes his powerful voice, letting the emotion run through him into each track.

I’m usually apprehensive about new bands; it takes me several play-throughs to fully appreciate a new album. This made it all the more impressive when I found myself humming their blog-shaking single “Sweater Weather” on the way to class, stumbling over the words to the infectious “Female Robbery,” and taking the long way home to bump the hip-hop infused “Wires” to full blast.

Listen to this album … trust me. When The Neighbourhood is all over the radio in a year, you’ll already know all the lyrics.

Cody Lewis

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...