The Neighbourhood shines in debut EP

What happens when you throw Foster The People, Lana Del Rey, Audioslave and Gavin DeGraw into a musical blender? Stumped?  I don’t blame you!

Until recently, the five-piece indie rock group The Neighbourhood was flying under my radar as well. Coming across the face of the band’s debut EP, “I’m Sorry” was the first I even heard of these California indie-rockers. And in this age of house music with electronic beats and new rappers surfacing every day, I’ve steadily grown more skeptical when it comes to music recommendations.

But The Neighbourhood’s five-track EP defied my expectations, and they are definitely a new band to add to your watch list. This Newbury Park, Calif., group lays down beautiful and complex tracks, effortlessly intertwining bass-heavy beats with slick guitar riffs.

Lead singer Jesse James Rutherford’s hip-hop background gives the album an exciting pace as he flexes his powerful voice, letting the emotion run through him into each track.

I’m usually apprehensive about new bands; it takes me several play-throughs to fully appreciate a new album. This made it all the more impressive when I found myself humming their blog-shaking single “Sweater Weather” on the way to class, stumbling over the words to the infectious “Female Robbery,” and taking the long way home to bump the hip-hop infused “Wires” to full blast.

Listen to this album … trust me. When The Neighbourhood is all over the radio in a year, you’ll already know all the lyrics.

Cody Lewis

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...