The Neighbourhood shines in debut EP

What happens when you throw Foster The People, Lana Del Rey, Audioslave and Gavin DeGraw into a musical blender? Stumped?  I don’t blame you!

Until recently, the five-piece indie rock group The Neighbourhood was flying under my radar as well. Coming across the face of the band’s debut EP, “I’m Sorry” was the first I even heard of these California indie-rockers. And in this age of house music with electronic beats and new rappers surfacing every day, I’ve steadily grown more skeptical when it comes to music recommendations.

But The Neighbourhood’s five-track EP defied my expectations, and they are definitely a new band to add to your watch list. This Newbury Park, Calif., group lays down beautiful and complex tracks, effortlessly intertwining bass-heavy beats with slick guitar riffs.

Lead singer Jesse James Rutherford’s hip-hop background gives the album an exciting pace as he flexes his powerful voice, letting the emotion run through him into each track.

I’m usually apprehensive about new bands; it takes me several play-throughs to fully appreciate a new album. This made it all the more impressive when I found myself humming their blog-shaking single “Sweater Weather” on the way to class, stumbling over the words to the infectious “Female Robbery,” and taking the long way home to bump the hip-hop infused “Wires” to full blast.

Listen to this album … trust me. When The Neighbourhood is all over the radio in a year, you’ll already know all the lyrics.

Cody Lewis

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...