U.S. News rankings consistent, but flawed

Last year, the University of Miami was ranked No. 38 in the 2012 edition of U.S. News & World Report “Best Colleges” list. Now, a year later, we’re ranked No. 44.

It seems drastic, dropping six spots in 12 months. But it isn’t. The U.S. News & World Report college rankings may be the most popular and well-regarded, but it has its flaws that make it virtually irrelevant.

U.S. News & World Report ranks colleges and universities based on a formula that constitutes valid factors such as graduation rates, freshmen retention rates and SAT scores, but 25 percent of the total score is based on a reputational survey.

The University of Miami does not fill out this reputational survey. Instead, other college officials and high school admission counselors do. It works this way for every college and university listed in the rankings.

People, some of whom may never have even heard of the university they’re scoring, rate each school from one to five. How can that be a relevant factor in a national ranking?

Data that can be retrieved by colleges and universities should be factored into the overall ranking, but a reputation is something that can’t be measured.

The truth is: You don’t know what it means to be a Hurricane until you become one.

It isn’t just the reputational survey that’s sketchy in these rankings.

If students and parents take the time to go through the long list of colleges and universities ranked from No. 1 to “unranked,” they will realize that state universities that have 50,000 students are being compared to private universities that have 5,000.

That’s like comparing a BMW 750Li to a Toyota Corolla Sport. You just can’t. If you’re looking for the better deal, Toyota will win. But if you’re looking for luxury, it’s BMW all the way.

Since President Donna E. Shalala set foot on UM’s campus in 2001, UM has risen 23 spots in the rankings. We’re the first university to make that big of a leap in such a short period of time.

Ranked No. 38 or No. 44, we’re still making history.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...