Two-day bike race to benefit Sylvester

This November, students can get fit and raise money for cancer research at the third annual Dolphins Cycling Challenge.

The challenge is a two-day bike ride that will take place on Nov. 3 and 4 and will span across Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties. In order to participate, riders must pledge to raise money based on how many miles they ride. All donations will go to UM’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Students can now sign up for two fundraising events at the wellness center that will occur at the same time as the third annual Dolphins Cycling Challenge.

On Nov. 3, the wellness center will be hosting a Spin-A-Thon, a six-hour indoor event that will take place from 4 to 10 p.m. Student groups and Greek organizations can sign up at rideDCC.com and must agree to raise at least $2,000. The Spin-A-Thon will be limited to 35 teams which must then ride for all six hours. The team that raises the most money will receive a reward.

“What we want to do is to try to find a way for students who aren’t long distance bikers to participate,” said Norm Parsons, the director of the wellness center.

Preferably, students should sign up for the Spin-A-Thon by Oct. 1, said Connie Nickel, an assistant director at the wellness center, but registration will remain open after that deadline.

For students who do want to hit the road, the wellness center will be forming a team of bikers that will consist of Parsons and 100 UM students. The ride will start at the Huizenga Plaza in Fort Lauderdale and will end at Sun Life Stadium. Riders will be provided transportation to and from the bike ride and their registration will be reduced to $1.

Nickel, a breast cancer survivor who received treatment at Sylvester, is excited about raising money for the center.

“The majority of students have been touched by cancer,” she said. “We are riding for those future cancer folks who will be helped by Sylvester.”

For more information and to register for either event, visit miami.edu/dcc or contact Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...