Republicans fail to deliver diversity

The Democratic and Republican National Conventions are more than quadrennial cheer fests where each party’s presidential candidate officially accepts his or her nomination.

The conventions give each party the chance to showcase why its agenda is the best choice for America. Expectedly, each party only speaks highly of itself, meanwhile mudslinging the opposing party – unbiased truths are fallacies at best.

However, each party may use its respective convention to define its image heading into the election season, and the Democrats did the job of painting themselves in a favorable light among the average American this year. By utilizing an array of diverse speakers, the Democrats marketed themselves to the greater American public better than the Republicans.

The Republicans did not put together a diverse display of keynote speakers. The First Lady of Puerto Rico, Luce Vela Fortuna, introduced Ann Romney before her speech and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio introduced Mitt Romney before his address, but the Republicans largely failed to deliver speakers and speeches that would resonate well with middle-class Americans.

To his credit, Gov. Chris Christie, a man known for his bold and fearless public speaking, tried to connect to the greater public through his tale of a humble beginnings as he was born to a low income and hardworking, Irish father and Sicilian mother. But, Christie’s address was regarded by many as a self-serving and self-promoting monologue that did not speak to the greater Republican Party’s commonality or the subsequent dedication to the average American.

Ann Romney was also a bit off-key in her address. Earlier this year she was criticized for being out of touch with reality when she said that she and Romney had to sell stocks in college to “make ends meet.”

Rather than attempt to enhance her favorability with a public that seemingly regards her as a housewife who does not understand the hardworking American’s story, Mrs.Romney opted to play to her housewife status and speak of the love she shares with her husband and family as pictures of them filled the screen behind her.

The Democrat speakers did their job in reaching out to a diverse American public. San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro reached out to immigrants as he spoke of being from a grandmother who held menial jobs in order to give her daughter a better life.

First Lady Michelle Obama, spoke well about education, healthcare and jobs which resonated with the majority of middle class individuals and families. Former President Bill Clinton responded directly to Paul Ryan’s accusation of the Democrats silence about their record as Clinton spoke of how the Democrats are responsible for 18 million more American jobs than Republicans over the past 52 years.

Perhaps, strategically, more non-white elderly attendees were caught by cameras throughout the DNC than the RNC.

With election day around the corner, the Republican Party did not do a good job omarketing themselves to a diverse American population.

Christopher Ivory is a second year law student.

Christopher Ivory

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...