Online courses grow in popularity, provide flexibility

Part-time student Jennifer Leal can maintain her full-time job in Kendall because of the online program through UM’s Bachelor of General Studies degree.

“If it wasn’t for this program and the flexibility of online classes, I don’t think I would be in school, especially one like UM,” she said.

The Division of Continuing Studies and International Education (DCIE) administers 11 online courses that fulfill the university’s general requirements. Currently 90 students are enrolled in online classes through DCIE, according to Craig Wilson, the executive director for the Online College Program.

UM began offering online courses two years ago, originally intended only for students in the BGS program. However, according to Wilson, the courses officially became open to the general student body last summer.

“Students expressed a desire,” he said. “The office is looking into continuing this next semester.”

The online options are only available for the first two years of the BGS program and then students are required to attend physical classes, usually during the evening, on a part-time basis.

Students’ motivation for enrolling in online courses is flexibility, said Wilson. The courses are offered year-round.

Students like sophomore Nour Ghaddar believe that more online classes can help students adapt to the future of education.

“People want to get the feel of a more technologically driven world,” she said. “It also benefits those with jobs and internships.”

However, online courses may benefit certain students more than others, said Mildred Triana, an academic advisor for the College of Arts and Science.

“It takes someone who is responsible to go online daily to post and respond to discussions,” she said.

In comparison to other schools, however, UM does not have a complete undergraduate online degree program. It does not offer courses beyond the introductory level.

In Florida, the University of Florida has a distance-learning program in which bachelor’s in health, business and criminology can be earned. Florida State University also has undergraduate programs in computer science and public safety and security.

Recognized universities in the Ivy League system have also developed limited degree programs. Columbia University provides opportunities to earn a Master of Science or Professional Degree through online courses.

Distance-learning, a formal term for online classes, also continues to evolve with the appearance of iTunes U. This allows users to download free university lectures in the same way that users can access music and videos.

Wilson hopes to expand on online offerings by drawing on examples from the established programs at other institutions.

“We have our eyes on things that are bigger,” he said. “It has been good to be in the middle of the pack because we can cherry-pick the best benchmarks to expand our online program.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...