News Briefs – 9/12

FunDay Applications

FunDay is a service day in February where over 350 citizens with special needs from the Miami area are paired with UM students to spend the day together partaking in carnival activities, a barbecue, arts and crafts, and karaoke. Applications for FunDay Executive Board must be filled out and brought to the Butler Center in UC240 by Friday at 5 p.m. Students must also sign up for an interview. In addition to a freshman representative, positions include FunDay staff, FunFair, BBQ/Opening Ceremonies, Arts and Crafts, and Mystery Theater. Executive board members must be available to meet on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. and to work at the event on Feb. 16.

Tech Talk

Jeff Benck, president and chief operating officer of Emulex, will share about his experience with climbing to the top of a public technology company that provides networking technology in data centers around the world. The talk, “Managing Innovation and Change in Tech Corporate Strategy,” will cover leadership principles how Benck applied his experience to drive innovation in his firm. Benck earned his master’s in management of technology from the College of Engineering 1994. The event is Friday at 11 a.m. in the College of Engineering’s McArthur Engineering Annex Room 202.

Order in the Court

The School of Law will host a panel discussion with Judge Alex Ferrer  of the Judge Alex Show and Judge Marilyn Milian of People’s Court on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Both Ferrer and Milian are School of Law alumni. The event will be moderated by Thane Rosenbaum,  an essayist, law profesor and author.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...