News Briefs – 9/12

FunDay Applications

FunDay is a service day in February where over 350 citizens with special needs from the Miami area are paired with UM students to spend the day together partaking in carnival activities, a barbecue, arts and crafts, and karaoke. Applications for FunDay Executive Board must be filled out and brought to the Butler Center in UC240 by Friday at 5 p.m. Students must also sign up for an interview. In addition to a freshman representative, positions include FunDay staff, FunFair, BBQ/Opening Ceremonies, Arts and Crafts, and Mystery Theater. Executive board members must be available to meet on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. and to work at the event on Feb. 16.

Tech Talk

Jeff Benck, president and chief operating officer of Emulex, will share about his experience with climbing to the top of a public technology company that provides networking technology in data centers around the world. The talk, “Managing Innovation and Change in Tech Corporate Strategy,” will cover leadership principles how Benck applied his experience to drive innovation in his firm. Benck earned his master’s in management of technology from the College of Engineering 1994. The event is Friday at 11 a.m. in the College of Engineering’s McArthur Engineering Annex Room 202.

Order in the Court

The School of Law will host a panel discussion with Judge Alex Ferrer  of the Judge Alex Show and Judge Marilyn Milian of People’s Court on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Both Ferrer and Milian are School of Law alumni. The event will be moderated by Thane Rosenbaum,  an essayist, law profesor and author.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...