News Briefs – 9/12

FunDay Applications

FunDay is a service day in February where over 350 citizens with special needs from the Miami area are paired with UM students to spend the day together partaking in carnival activities, a barbecue, arts and crafts, and karaoke. Applications for FunDay Executive Board must be filled out and brought to the Butler Center in UC240 by Friday at 5 p.m. Students must also sign up for an interview. In addition to a freshman representative, positions include FunDay staff, FunFair, BBQ/Opening Ceremonies, Arts and Crafts, and Mystery Theater. Executive board members must be available to meet on Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. and to work at the event on Feb. 16.

Tech Talk

Jeff Benck, president and chief operating officer of Emulex, will share about his experience with climbing to the top of a public technology company that provides networking technology in data centers around the world. The talk, “Managing Innovation and Change in Tech Corporate Strategy,” will cover leadership principles how Benck applied his experience to drive innovation in his firm. Benck earned his master’s in management of technology from the College of Engineering 1994. The event is Friday at 11 a.m. in the College of Engineering’s McArthur Engineering Annex Room 202.

Order in the Court

The School of Law will host a panel discussion with Judge Alex Ferrer  of the Judge Alex Show and Judge Marilyn Milian of People’s Court on Sept. 27 at 6 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Both Ferrer and Milian are School of Law alumni. The event will be moderated by Thane Rosenbaum,  an essayist, law profesor and author.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...