President Barack Obama, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to visit campus

United States President Barack Obama discusses energy possibilities for the future at the University of Miami Field House on Feb. 23. File Photo

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama will speak at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse on Sept. 19 and 20, respectively. Their visits are part of Univision broadcasts, and will be aired on the Spanish-language station after each event. Univision, a TV station with studios and operations in Doral, will conduct the event in a question and answer format, with questions asked in Spanish and candidates answering in English. Translations will be provided when necessary.

UM Young and College Democrats and UM College Republicans, as well as other undergraduate political organizations, will have initial access to the limited number of student tickets.

All other students interested in attending each event will be required to enter a ticket lottery. Students will receive an email with specifics about how to enter Tuesday, and must complete the entry page by 5 p.m. Wednesday. Winners will be notified by email on Thursday.

This will mark President Barack Obama’s second visit to the University of Miami. Earlier this year, the president spoke at the same venue to address the United States’ energy policy. Before his speech, the president received a tour of the college, as well as a demo of an in-house project focused on energy efficiency.

On Feb. 20, The Miami Hurricane announced that President Obama would be visiting campus Feb. 23. At around 6 p.m. Feb. 21, more than 900 people waited to receive tickets. Students lined up outside the University Center’s Ticketmaster window nearly two days before the event.

When the box office opened Wednesday morning, those who were in line by 6:30 a.m. definitely received a ticket, said Joshua Brandfon, the associate director of student activities.

Brandfon said there was a waitlist for tickets, and more than 100 students signed up.

“We begged for every ticket we could get,” President Donna E. Shalala said.

The event was solely open to UM students.

The decision to host the event in the Fieldhouse and to limit the attendees to students was made by the White House, which wanted to keep the event small. Shalala said she tried to convince Obama and the White House to host the event in the BankUnited Center.

Additional event details will be provided to ticket holders closer to the event date. For more information on the ticketing process, contact the Department of Student Activities at 305-284-6399.

Ticket schedule:

• Tuesday: Emails will be sent to currently enrolled students, with a link to enter the ticket lotteries
  • Wednesday, 5 p.m.: Deadline to enter the ticket lottery
  • Thursday: Lottery winners will be notified by email
  • Monday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Lottery winners can pick up their tickets at the UC
  • Sept. 18, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Lottery winners can pick up their tickets at the UC
  • Sept. 19, noon: Lottery winner ticket pickup deadline
  • Sept. 19, 1 p.m.: Alternates will be notified by email, and tickets pick up will begin immediately.
  • Sept. 19, 6 p.m., Alternate pickup date closes.

Allison Goodman

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...