Two students robbed at gunpoint near Miller and 57th

Two UM students were robbed at gunpoint early Saturday morning, several blocks off campus. The students were not harmed.

Police would not release specifics regarding the incident, including whether the students were male or female, or whether anything was taken. The students were walking from a house on Southwest 58th Ave. and Southwest 52nd Terrace.

The crime occurred at approximately 12:45 a.m., in the area of Red Road and Miller Road.

According to the safety advisory the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) issued, the offender is described as a 5-foot-8-inch black male, with shoulder-length curly hair. He is described as having a thin build, and was seen wearing black baggy pants and a light or white tank top.

The incident is part of an ongoing investigation.

Though the crime took place several blocks off campus, UM helped the students recover.

“Our University of Miami Police Department and student affairs on call staff responded immediately, providing support for the students throughout the morning and weekend,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

By law, UMPD is not required to send an advisory to students informing them of the crimes that occur out of their jurisdiction.

“We sent out a crime advisory, even though by law we don’t have to send that out. It’s something extra we do for our students,” UMPD Police Chief David Rivero said.

Though UM’s campus crime rates have gone down 16 percent this year, according to Rivero, he still encourages students walking back to campus late at night to “follow safety protocol.”

“We’re bound to go around campus and make sure that’s safe. We patrol our campus, we can’t leave it because we run into jurisdictional problems,” he said.

Sophomore Ali Pezzi was walking near the area where the crime took place at approximately 3:30 a.m. Saturday with three other girls.

The next day, after learning of the incident, Pezzi did not feel safe.

“I thought I was safe, but after hearing that I am scared and rethinking, ‘why did I walk home then?’” she said. “That could have been me. It freaked me out, you know? It still scared me because they were in a group when that happened.”

Rivero and UMPD encourage students to bike back, walk in groups or take cabs. Should they encounter a problem, he encourages them to call 911 for help.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...