Gold standard does not equal golden economy

The Republican National Convention in Tampa has done some official “party business” that required a massive garish ceremony; namely nominating Mitt Romney and establishing a platform that Republicans will try to follow.

The GOP has apparently found logic to be a job-killer and calls for inquiry into a gold standard or “metallic basis” for the U.S. dollar.

If you took a dollar out of your pocket or Googled one, since everyone uses credit cards, you would find, “In God We Trust,” proudly printed. This remains because the trust in the dollar’s intrinsic value, as an exchange for a good or service, isn’t based on anything tangible; it’s been this way for a few decades. Not only is the idea to base the dollar on an amount of gold anachronistic, but it is bad economic policy as well.

Money is printed by the U.S. Federal Reserve. The Federal Reserve controls the supply of bills in the economy by releasing more dollars through open market operations where they buy bonds or other forms of assets. The recent “Quantitative Easing” is an example of this power. By buying these assets, the Fed puts more money into the banks that sold them, which in turn can be lent out to businesses (or college students), thus stimulating the economy.

This is where the gold standard comes in. By tying the amount of money the Fed can print and issue to the amount of gold the government holds, the gold standard would limit how much money can be printed. Backers of the plan, like Congressman Ron Paul, say this will curb inflation because less money printed makes each dollar more valuable; this is absolutely true. However, our economic woes aren’t from inflation.

The  inflation rate is at 1.4 percent, which is under the 2 percent viewed in a healthy economy. Inflation usually occurs when the economy is booming and people spend more on things. Obviously, that’s not the problem now.

The gold standard would be terrible for the economy. It would stop the Fed from any more quantitative easing and limit future monetary policy, which Chairman Ben Bernanke has mentioned as a likely measure soon. The price of gold has been volatile in the past few decades and in the roughly 60 years America spent using gold, there were nine financial panics.

Right now, the gold standard would be like sending the U.S. economy into a fistfight with handcuffs on. The GOP Convention may have had enough balloons to lift the entire west coast of Florida into the sky, but adopting a platform that seeks metallic basis for currency will sink the economy with an anchor of gold.

Patrick Quinlan is a freshman majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...