UM Wynwood gallery relocates

The Wynwood Walls are a collection of murals and graffiti on warehouse walls in Downtown Miami. File Photo

The next time you don your hipster eyewear and explore the streets of the Wynwood Art District, make sure that a visit to the University of Miami Gallery’s brand new home is at the top of your to-do list.

The gallery has moved to the funky, zebra-striped Wynwood Building, a mere two blocks from where it originally stood. Gallery Director Milly Cardoso said she feels that the new building perfectly portrays what the gallery stands for.

“The new location we’ve moved into is much more modern,” Cardoso said. “The building has parking spaces and security which are great improvements. The new location definitely reflects the energy and the look of the art gallery.”

Lise Drost, chair of UM’s Department of Art and Art History, made the decision to move the gallery from its five-year home in lower Wynwood in an effort to bring more recognition to the university’s artists. The gallery’s new home is in a professional building that also houses artist galleries and studios as well as art and design businesses, according to Drost.

“It’s important for the department to showcase the work of our artists – students, faculty, staff and alumni – in the gallery district in Wynwood to help our people with their careers and to show the art community what the U of M artists are doing,” she said.

The gallery’s new location is also closer to the Wynwood Art Walk, which allows it to better reach its goal of inspiring others by attracting more visitors.

“When you leave, we do hope you have more knowledge of art, but we really want students to be inspired to do their own work,” Cardoso said. “More than anything else, we want to inspire.”

Isabel Brador

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...