UM Wynwood gallery relocates

The Wynwood Walls are a collection of murals and graffiti on warehouse walls in Downtown Miami. File Photo

The next time you don your hipster eyewear and explore the streets of the Wynwood Art District, make sure that a visit to the University of Miami Gallery’s brand new home is at the top of your to-do list.

The gallery has moved to the funky, zebra-striped Wynwood Building, a mere two blocks from where it originally stood. Gallery Director Milly Cardoso said she feels that the new building perfectly portrays what the gallery stands for.

“The new location we’ve moved into is much more modern,” Cardoso said. “The building has parking spaces and security which are great improvements. The new location definitely reflects the energy and the look of the art gallery.”

Lise Drost, chair of UM’s Department of Art and Art History, made the decision to move the gallery from its five-year home in lower Wynwood in an effort to bring more recognition to the university’s artists. The gallery’s new home is in a professional building that also houses artist galleries and studios as well as art and design businesses, according to Drost.

“It’s important for the department to showcase the work of our artists – students, faculty, staff and alumni – in the gallery district in Wynwood to help our people with their careers and to show the art community what the U of M artists are doing,” she said.

The gallery’s new location is also closer to the Wynwood Art Walk, which allows it to better reach its goal of inspiring others by attracting more visitors.

“When you leave, we do hope you have more knowledge of art, but we really want students to be inspired to do their own work,” Cardoso said. “More than anything else, we want to inspire.”

Isabel Brador

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...