News Briefs – 9/6

Farmers Market Returns

‘Canes Farmers Market will return to the Coral Gables campus on Sept. 19. It will be held weekly on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. along the walkway between the Richter Library and the post office. The market features locally grown and organic produce, baked goods, local honey, marinades and more.

A joint initiative of the Office of Human Resources and Student Government, the on-campus farmers market was launched in fall 2010.

Vote for Sebastian

Sebastian the Ibis is in the running for the 2012 Capital One Mascot of the Year. Sebastian is currently up against the University of Nevada’s Wolfie Jr.

The top eight mascots with the best head-to-head records will then compete in a bracket-style, single-elimination competition in order to determine the overall winner. Online voting opened Monday and will continue weekly through Nov. 26. Visit capitalonebowl.com to vote for Sebastian.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...