Top venues to catch a UM away game

David Shulman, Senior and Advertising Major (left), and Sean Smith, a Marketing Alumni (right), enjoy a pitcher of beer at the Rat. Holly Bensur // Contributing Photographer
Senior David Shulman (left), and UM alumnus Sean Smith share a pitcher of beer at the Rathskeller. Holly Bensur // Contributing Photographer 

The first home game of the football season is nearly two weeks away, but that shouldn’t stop you from painting your face orange and green or sporting your proudest Hurricanes ensemble. Though nothing can replace traditions like running through the smoke or 10 a.m. tailgates, there are in fact other popular places to gather for Canes games. Check out these five venues that can help keep your Miami spirit high while you wait for the first home game.

1. Sports Grill South Miami

This venue, known for its ridiculously cheap Monday and Wednesday night specials, is just one of the many sports bars near campus. On Mondays, Sports Grill offers wings for 55 cents each from 4 p.m. until midnight. Voted “best wings in Miami” by the Miami New Times, these wings pack in tons of flavor. Also, this place has free Wi-Fi … who can turn down free Wi-Fi? For a full list of specials and hours of operation, visit sportsgrillmiami.com or call 305-668-0396.

Sports Grill South Miami is located at 1559 Sunset Drive.

2. LOKal Burgers & Beer

LOKal Burgers & Beer opened its doors in mid-December 2011. Though a rookie for Hurricane football season, this place was set for success when Thrilllist said, “LOKal – the ‘K’ should probably stand for ‘kick-ass burgers.’” This highly-praised venue promises a welcoming environment on gameday, with hearty sides, handsome decor and flat-screen TVs. For specials and hours of operation, visit lokalmiami.com or call 305-442-3377.

LoKal Burgers & Beer is located at 3190 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove. 

3. Any frat party ever

Nothing screams college more than a fraternity party, especially one hosted by the loudest fraternities on campus. Though plans for these parties are usually kept on the DL, keep refreshing your Facebook home page and you’ll be amazed by what you find.

4. The Rathskeller

Though the Rathskeller’s temporary spot may not necessarily offer the trademark charm of its original location, this miniature version of the Rat still has swag. With a refurbished UC patio and lovely orange swings, this classic campus stomping ground is surely the place to be on gameday. So grab a swing and sport your orange and green when you visit the heart of campus tradition.

Call 305-284-6310 for more information. The temporary Rathskeller is located on the lower level of the University Center.

5. Buffalo Wild Wings

This sports bar, probably the closest one to campus (along with Sports Grill), offers traditional wings in 27 different flavors. Known to attract many Canes for away games, Buffalo Wild Wings offers tasty cheap eats and a home away from home for UM students. Visit buffalowildwings.com or call 305-668-0911 for more information.

Buffalo Wild Wings is located at 5701 Sunset Drive, Suite B-13A.