Popular chain delights with burgers, UM appeal

Move over, Five Guys. Take a seat, OMG! Burgers. There’s a new burger joint on the block: Shake Shack, which opened on U.S. 1 across from campus in July.

The restaurant is the largest of the franchise’s 16 locations, combining a friendly indoor setting with covered patio seating. Business has soared since the July 15 opening, and according to several staff members the budget has been exceeded every day.

“It’s really busy, especially during peak lunch and dinner hours,” said Brenna Verner, a Shake Shack employee. “There’s usually a line through the door.”

The restaurant has an efficient and convenient setup so guests who only order cold items don’t have to wait in the longer hot food line.

Located on South Dixie Highway where the popular barbecue restaurant Smoke’t used to stand, Shake Shack has reached out to the UM community in several ways.

The “U” Malt, made of frozen chocolate custard, fudge sauce, chocolate truffle cookie dough and malt, was aptly named for the university. Also, students can get a serving of custard or a soda free with any $5 purchase.

Junior Justin Green, who frequented Smoke’t and was eager for a new restaurant to take its place, said Shake Shack hits all the right notes.

“The ShackBurger was awesome, and I can’t wait to try more of the shakes,” he said. “The ‘U’ Malt is clearly a nice touch at a restaurant so close to campus.”

The majority of Shake Shack’s burgers are topped with their famous tangy Shack Sauce. Burgers cost anywhere from $3.30 for a single hamburger to $8.85 for the massive “Shake Stack.” Hot dogs are slightly cheaper, running between $3 and $5. Fries are an additional $2.70, or $3.70 for cheese fries.

Besides burgers and hot dogs, Shake Shack is known for its appealing dessert menu with frozen custards, floats, and “concretes,” which are described as custard blended with various mix-ins. The frozen custard is denser and richer than traditional ice cream, and is made daily at the restaurant.

Verner said they will feature a rotation of special custard flavors, including out-of-the-ordinary options like malted marshmallow or heirloom tomato.

There will be seasonal draught beers in addition to the standard beer and wine menu. For fall, the $5.50 draught special is pumpkin harpoon UFO.

Shake Shack, which debuted as a Manhattan-area hot dog stand in 2001, keeps sustainability in mind. The kitchen composts waste and uses eco-friendly appliances, and the tables and chairs are made from recycled materials.

In fact, Verner said the furniture in the main dining area was created from old bowling lanes.

Shake Shack is located at 1450 S. Dixie Highway in Coral Gables.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...