Organizations to come together for bike sale on the Rock

Senior Roderick Daniels rides his bike down the path from the UC to the library. The UMPD registers more than 1,000 new bicycles on campus each year. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

At the University of Miami, many students are turning to cycling as a way to quickly navigate their way to class.

According to the UM’s Department of Parking and Transportation, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) registers more than 1,000 new bicycles each year. The Department of Parking and Transportation and UBike also actively promotes the use of bicycling as an alternative means of transportation.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, as part of the Green U initiative, Parking and Transportation and UBike, along with UMPD, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, Mack Cycle and Fitness, and BikeSafe, will be holding the UBike Bike Sale and Safety Fair on the Rock.

“The fair aims to provide the University community with access to good quality bikes, road safety education and information, and community events like the Dolphins Cycling Challenge and Gables Bike Day,” said Richard Sobaram, director of parking and transportation and chairperson of UBike.

Mack Cycle and Fitness will be the only store at the fair. According to Sue Kawalerski, who handles cycling advocacy and media for Mack Cycle and Fitness, there will be a range of bicycles on sale, with prices starting at $199. Discount prices will be offered, however, with some original prices shedding 70 percent.

“It will be one-stop-shopping for students,” Kawalerski said. “All the necessary equipment and accessories will be available for sale so the student will be ready to ride well and safely right after the purchase.”

Besides having bicycles for sale, road safety and community awareness also play a huge part in the fair. UMPD will be on site to help students register their new bicycles. UMPD will also be providing students with free locks for their new bikes.

Sobaram encourages students to register their bicycles with the UMPD in order to strengthen campus security.

“In order to ensure the best security on campus, it is critical that cyclists register their bikes with UMPD,” Sobaram said.

For students interested in participating in philanthropic events, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, a charity cycling event, and UBike will be at the fair from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m. to promote community events that student cyclists can register for and participate.

“We’re trying to solicit more student riders,” said Michael Mandich, the CEO of Dolphin’s Cycling Challenge. “Over the last 2 years, we’ve raised more than $1.6 million for the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Students can get involved with our student special, and participate without having to be limited by the fundraising minimum.”

If You Go:

What: UBike Bike Sale and Safety Fair

Where: UC Rock

When: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sept. 4 and 5

For more information, visit the UBike website at miami.edu/ubike.

Esther Pang

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...