Take initiative, make this year count

As the fall semester commences in colleges across the country, students that walk into their first classes of the school year have their own set of goals in mind to accomplish.

We students are all driven by an aura of excitement; even the usual milquetoast seems to radiate a heightened sense of chutzpah.

However, at this point in our lives, it is important to instill a sense of individual responsibility in each student. Indeed, we have our support systems of family, friends, and university resources that provide us the assistance when deemed necessary. But no matter what the circumstances are, it is you, the student, who is the captain of your own ship.

Know who you are. Take a moment to think back on what defines you. Know the sacrifices that, not only you have taken, but also those that your family have made for you to reach this junction in your life. The Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself” epitomizes this essential step in comprehending individual responsibility.

Know what you are doing. Whether you may be the carefree hedonist or the assiduous workhorse, have a rational game plan. Are you sure you want to brush aside your coursework for something you wish you would have reconsidered? Are you sure you want to inundate yourself with extracurriculars and extra course credits when you did not think of what your limits are? All of your actions originate from no other place than yourself.

Know why you are here. It all comes down to having goals and dreams. Regardless of what they may be, these ideals are what you strive for. Taking the initiative in college and understanding the question, “Why?” is imperative for being cognizant of individual responsibility. In the end, it is you that is in control of the opportunities present, so do not let it go to waste.

It is your college experience, your opportunity, and your responsibility. Make it count.

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...