Take initiative, make this year count

As the fall semester commences in colleges across the country, students that walk into their first classes of the school year have their own set of goals in mind to accomplish.

We students are all driven by an aura of excitement; even the usual milquetoast seems to radiate a heightened sense of chutzpah.

However, at this point in our lives, it is important to instill a sense of individual responsibility in each student. Indeed, we have our support systems of family, friends, and university resources that provide us the assistance when deemed necessary. But no matter what the circumstances are, it is you, the student, who is the captain of your own ship.

Know who you are. Take a moment to think back on what defines you. Know the sacrifices that, not only you have taken, but also those that your family have made for you to reach this junction in your life. The Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself” epitomizes this essential step in comprehending individual responsibility.

Know what you are doing. Whether you may be the carefree hedonist or the assiduous workhorse, have a rational game plan. Are you sure you want to brush aside your coursework for something you wish you would have reconsidered? Are you sure you want to inundate yourself with extracurriculars and extra course credits when you did not think of what your limits are? All of your actions originate from no other place than yourself.

Know why you are here. It all comes down to having goals and dreams. Regardless of what they may be, these ideals are what you strive for. Taking the initiative in college and understanding the question, “Why?” is imperative for being cognizant of individual responsibility. In the end, it is you that is in control of the opportunities present, so do not let it go to waste.

It is your college experience, your opportunity, and your responsibility. Make it count.

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...