Take initiative, make this year count

As the fall semester commences in colleges across the country, students that walk into their first classes of the school year have their own set of goals in mind to accomplish.

We students are all driven by an aura of excitement; even the usual milquetoast seems to radiate a heightened sense of chutzpah.

However, at this point in our lives, it is important to instill a sense of individual responsibility in each student. Indeed, we have our support systems of family, friends, and university resources that provide us the assistance when deemed necessary. But no matter what the circumstances are, it is you, the student, who is the captain of your own ship.

Know who you are. Take a moment to think back on what defines you. Know the sacrifices that, not only you have taken, but also those that your family have made for you to reach this junction in your life. The Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself” epitomizes this essential step in comprehending individual responsibility.

Know what you are doing. Whether you may be the carefree hedonist or the assiduous workhorse, have a rational game plan. Are you sure you want to brush aside your coursework for something you wish you would have reconsidered? Are you sure you want to inundate yourself with extracurriculars and extra course credits when you did not think of what your limits are? All of your actions originate from no other place than yourself.

Know why you are here. It all comes down to having goals and dreams. Regardless of what they may be, these ideals are what you strive for. Taking the initiative in college and understanding the question, “Why?” is imperative for being cognizant of individual responsibility. In the end, it is you that is in control of the opportunities present, so do not let it go to waste.

It is your college experience, your opportunity, and your responsibility. Make it count.

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...