Take initiative, make this year count

As the fall semester commences in colleges across the country, students that walk into their first classes of the school year have their own set of goals in mind to accomplish.

We students are all driven by an aura of excitement; even the usual milquetoast seems to radiate a heightened sense of chutzpah.

However, at this point in our lives, it is important to instill a sense of individual responsibility in each student. Indeed, we have our support systems of family, friends, and university resources that provide us the assistance when deemed necessary. But no matter what the circumstances are, it is you, the student, who is the captain of your own ship.

Know who you are. Take a moment to think back on what defines you. Know the sacrifices that, not only you have taken, but also those that your family have made for you to reach this junction in your life. The Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself” epitomizes this essential step in comprehending individual responsibility.

Know what you are doing. Whether you may be the carefree hedonist or the assiduous workhorse, have a rational game plan. Are you sure you want to brush aside your coursework for something you wish you would have reconsidered? Are you sure you want to inundate yourself with extracurriculars and extra course credits when you did not think of what your limits are? All of your actions originate from no other place than yourself.

Know why you are here. It all comes down to having goals and dreams. Regardless of what they may be, these ideals are what you strive for. Taking the initiative in college and understanding the question, “Why?” is imperative for being cognizant of individual responsibility. In the end, it is you that is in control of the opportunities present, so do not let it go to waste.

It is your college experience, your opportunity, and your responsibility. Make it count.

Raymond La is a sophomore majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...