Online ticketing a better system

We live in the 21st century. Technology is constantly evolving, and change is inevitable. In the past, students needed a Cane Card and bus sticker in order to get to Sun Life Stadium on gameday. Starting this semester, however, a new online ticketing system is finally here to catch us up with the times.

The system will be implemented for football season, in an attempt to alleviate long lines at the student gate and resolve Cane Card issues. Although it may seem more time consuming at first, we believe in your ability to take five minutes out of your three-hour Facebook stalking session to secure your seat.

You’re probably wondering, “Why is this necessary?” Well, before you make up your mind and dismiss it completely, here are some benefits that could win you over:

1. Cane Card doesn’t swipe? No problem. Now that everything will be done online, you’ll only need to show your Cane Card for identification. If the magnetic strip is faulty, you are in the clear.

2. Your ticket for admission will also serve as your bus pass. Kiss those 3 p.m. sticker deadlines goodbye.

3. Eco-friendly students, take note: Don’t worry about wasting paper. If you have a smartphone (chances are high), you can download your ticket and have it scanned at the gate.

4. During a week full of homework, exams and extracurricular activities, it may be difficult to remember to claim your online ticket. Have no fear – tickets can still be accessed on your way to the game.

5. All-inclusive: While getting your ticket, you can also purchase a parking pass and guest tickets. It’s all done with the click of a button.

6. The system is not a lottery. If the whole student body wants to attend a game, they can. As Cady Heron once said, “The limit does not exist.”

Despite these positives, students have raised concerns about a drop in attendance and technical mishaps. However, attendance has always been an issue at football games, and this new system will not further the problem. The students who want to go, will. While technical mishaps may pose a problem, UM has already taken this into consideration. Students will have the option to print their tickets at the stadium.

While this system is plenty innovative, we will miss collecting those colorful bus stickers. But it’s time to grow up.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...