Online ticketing a better system

We live in the 21st century. Technology is constantly evolving, and change is inevitable. In the past, students needed a Cane Card and bus sticker in order to get to Sun Life Stadium on gameday. Starting this semester, however, a new online ticketing system is finally here to catch us up with the times.

The system will be implemented for football season, in an attempt to alleviate long lines at the student gate and resolve Cane Card issues. Although it may seem more time consuming at first, we believe in your ability to take five minutes out of your three-hour Facebook stalking session to secure your seat.

You’re probably wondering, “Why is this necessary?” Well, before you make up your mind and dismiss it completely, here are some benefits that could win you over:

1. Cane Card doesn’t swipe? No problem. Now that everything will be done online, you’ll only need to show your Cane Card for identification. If the magnetic strip is faulty, you are in the clear.

2. Your ticket for admission will also serve as your bus pass. Kiss those 3 p.m. sticker deadlines goodbye.

3. Eco-friendly students, take note: Don’t worry about wasting paper. If you have a smartphone (chances are high), you can download your ticket and have it scanned at the gate.

4. During a week full of homework, exams and extracurricular activities, it may be difficult to remember to claim your online ticket. Have no fear – tickets can still be accessed on your way to the game.

5. All-inclusive: While getting your ticket, you can also purchase a parking pass and guest tickets. It’s all done with the click of a button.

6. The system is not a lottery. If the whole student body wants to attend a game, they can. As Cady Heron once said, “The limit does not exist.”

Despite these positives, students have raised concerns about a drop in attendance and technical mishaps. However, attendance has always been an issue at football games, and this new system will not further the problem. The students who want to go, will. While technical mishaps may pose a problem, UM has already taken this into consideration. Students will have the option to print their tickets at the stadium.

While this system is plenty innovative, we will miss collecting those colorful bus stickers. But it’s time to grow up.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...