Health care reform is a step forward

L

et us get this out of the way:  I find the Affordable Care Act, upheld in near-entirety this past June by the U.S. Supreme Court, as a vital step forward in expanding insurance coverage and minimizing certain abuses within the health industry.

You may agree or disagree to varying extents with my assessment.

Now, momentarily disregard the public debate over the individual mandate, state exchanges, Medicare and many other issues. It seems that many of my peers seem to think that the healthcare law hardly affects them.  After all, most hail from middle to higher-income strata.  Many  people already have health insurance plans through their parents.  Many are healthy and not in need of any major treatment.  The 2010 law really is not all that important, or is it?

Independent youths will be required to purchase health insurance or pay a penalty, which may be a pro or a con depending on personal opinion.  However, starting in 2014, young people will be allowed to stay on their parents’ healthcare plans until they turn 26, and the government will help pay for insurance for individuals who truly have trouble affording it.  Under the law, screening for alcohol abuse, depression, domestic violence and tobacco use are legally required to be covered by health insurance plans. Type 2 diabetes, HIV, breast cancer and cervical cancer, as well as immunization vaccines and contraception access, are also included under this new provision.

Also, gender cannot be used as a basis to charge one individual over another for the same type of coverage.  Oh yeah, and did I mention that insurance companies cannot deny coverage based on “pre-existing conditions” such as pregnancy or cancer?

This law seems pretty good for young adults. Now, we can get back to arguing over the rest of the bill.

Gaurav Dhiman is a first-year medical student. 

Gaurav Dhiman

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...