News Briefs – 8/23

The Miami Hurricane Orientation

The Miami Hurricane will be hosting a general orientation session on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Shoma Hall in the Communication International Building located between Memorial and the Whitten Learning Center. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., and refreshments will be served. President Donna E. Shalala will attend and speak about the role of student media and her experience in journalism. Other events include a special appearance by Sebastian the Ibis, a raffle for “Cool Story Bro” T-shirts and individual section discussions. For more information, check out the Facebook event, “A Night with The Miami Hurricane: A Peek Inside the Student Paper.”

M.F.A. Exhibition

The works of incoming Master of Fine Arts students will be on display at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery until Sept.14. An opening will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at the Wesley Foundation, 1210 Stanford Dr. A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at as.miami.edu/art. For more information, call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Roses PROMOTE EXPRESSION

A bouquet of University of Miami bi-colored roses can be purchased from FTD.com, an online florist, at a $15 discount in celebration of the beginning of the school year. The floral arrangements with green and orange petals come with a colored keepsake vase with the school logo and can be delivered in a spirited gift box. The College Roses Collection is available at ftd.com/college, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of UM roses will benefit the university.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...