News Briefs – 8/23

The Miami Hurricane Orientation

The Miami Hurricane will be hosting a general orientation session on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Shoma Hall in the Communication International Building located between Memorial and the Whitten Learning Center. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., and refreshments will be served. President Donna E. Shalala will attend and speak about the role of student media and her experience in journalism. Other events include a special appearance by Sebastian the Ibis, a raffle for “Cool Story Bro” T-shirts and individual section discussions. For more information, check out the Facebook event, “A Night with The Miami Hurricane: A Peek Inside the Student Paper.”

M.F.A. Exhibition

The works of incoming Master of Fine Arts students will be on display at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery until Sept.14. An opening will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at the Wesley Foundation, 1210 Stanford Dr. A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at as.miami.edu/art. For more information, call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Roses PROMOTE EXPRESSION

A bouquet of University of Miami bi-colored roses can be purchased from FTD.com, an online florist, at a $15 discount in celebration of the beginning of the school year. The floral arrangements with green and orange petals come with a colored keepsake vase with the school logo and can be delivered in a spirited gift box. The College Roses Collection is available at ftd.com/college, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of UM roses will benefit the university.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...