News Briefs – 8/23

The Miami Hurricane Orientation

The Miami Hurricane will be hosting a general orientation session on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Shoma Hall in the Communication International Building located between Memorial and the Whitten Learning Center. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., and refreshments will be served. President Donna E. Shalala will attend and speak about the role of student media and her experience in journalism. Other events include a special appearance by Sebastian the Ibis, a raffle for “Cool Story Bro” T-shirts and individual section discussions. For more information, check out the Facebook event, “A Night with The Miami Hurricane: A Peek Inside the Student Paper.”

M.F.A. Exhibition

The works of incoming Master of Fine Arts students will be on display at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery until Sept.14. An opening will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at the Wesley Foundation, 1210 Stanford Dr. A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at as.miami.edu/art. For more information, call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Roses PROMOTE EXPRESSION

A bouquet of University of Miami bi-colored roses can be purchased from FTD.com, an online florist, at a $15 discount in celebration of the beginning of the school year. The floral arrangements with green and orange petals come with a colored keepsake vase with the school logo and can be delivered in a spirited gift box. The College Roses Collection is available at ftd.com/college, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of UM roses will benefit the university.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...