News Briefs – 8/23

The Miami Hurricane Orientation

The Miami Hurricane will be hosting a general orientation session on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Shoma Hall in the Communication International Building located between Memorial and the Whitten Learning Center. Doors open at 6:15 p.m., and refreshments will be served. President Donna E. Shalala will attend and speak about the role of student media and her experience in journalism. Other events include a special appearance by Sebastian the Ibis, a raffle for “Cool Story Bro” T-shirts and individual section discussions. For more information, check out the Facebook event, “A Night with The Miami Hurricane: A Peek Inside the Student Paper.”

M.F.A. Exhibition

The works of incoming Master of Fine Arts students will be on display at the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery until Sept.14. An opening will be held Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at the Wesley Foundation, 1210 Stanford Dr. A full schedule of exhibitions can be viewed at as.miami.edu/art. For more information, call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Roses PROMOTE EXPRESSION

A bouquet of University of Miami bi-colored roses can be purchased from FTD.com, an online florist, at a $15 discount in celebration of the beginning of the school year. The floral arrangements with green and orange petals come with a colored keepsake vase with the school logo and can be delivered in a spirited gift box. The College Roses Collection is available at ftd.com/college, and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of UM roses will benefit the university.

Lyssa Goldberg and Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...