Student media after the truth, not the feel-good story

College is a microcosm of the real world. Nursing majors work with patients during clinicals. Education majors work with students at schools during internships. Journalism majors work at student newspapers, television stations, radio stations and magazines. All of these experiences prepare us for the future – but in the meantime, we’re all learning.

As student journalists, we are the voice of the student body. We have a duty to report the truth, be it positive or negative. We aim to be as objective as possible in our attempts to tell every side of a story, because there is always more than one.

Not every story we write is intended to make you smile. We are journalists working in a newsroom, not consultants working for a public relations firm. We don’t always write what you want to read.

Many students and faculty members are quick to send staff members of UM’s student media nasty emails or degrading comments, without reaching out to us first. Although we do want your feedback and appreciate constructive criticism, please think about what you’re writing before you hit send.

During Student Government elections last year, there was controversy surrounding both tickets on the ballot. The results were postponed until the SG Supreme Court held a trial. When The Miami Hurricane published a story explaining the situation, our publication was accused of favoring a ticket.

The reality was that one ticket repeatedly declined to comment. We mentioned this fact in the story. However, this made reporting the facts difficult. Students, in comments posted on themiamihurricane.com, accused us of doing a “terrible job.” When someone declines to comment, there is nothing we can do.

Remember, we enter this business knowing that we won’t please everyone all the time. Put yourself in our shoes. We publish the truth, but the truth is not always what people want to hear.

To students who aren’t journalism majors: The paper is here for you, too. We are your forum. We want you to talk to us. You don’t need to be a writer to have an opinion. Pitch a story. Stop by the newsroom and meet our staff. Write a letter to the editor.

We’re students just like you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...