Student media after the truth, not the feel-good story

College is a microcosm of the real world. Nursing majors work with patients during clinicals. Education majors work with students at schools during internships. Journalism majors work at student newspapers, television stations, radio stations and magazines. All of these experiences prepare us for the future – but in the meantime, we’re all learning.

As student journalists, we are the voice of the student body. We have a duty to report the truth, be it positive or negative. We aim to be as objective as possible in our attempts to tell every side of a story, because there is always more than one.

Not every story we write is intended to make you smile. We are journalists working in a newsroom, not consultants working for a public relations firm. We don’t always write what you want to read.

Many students and faculty members are quick to send staff members of UM’s student media nasty emails or degrading comments, without reaching out to us first. Although we do want your feedback and appreciate constructive criticism, please think about what you’re writing before you hit send.

During Student Government elections last year, there was controversy surrounding both tickets on the ballot. The results were postponed until the SG Supreme Court held a trial. When The Miami Hurricane published a story explaining the situation, our publication was accused of favoring a ticket.

The reality was that one ticket repeatedly declined to comment. We mentioned this fact in the story. However, this made reporting the facts difficult. Students, in comments posted on themiamihurricane.com, accused us of doing a “terrible job.” When someone declines to comment, there is nothing we can do.

Remember, we enter this business knowing that we won’t please everyone all the time. Put yourself in our shoes. We publish the truth, but the truth is not always what people want to hear.

To students who aren’t journalism majors: The paper is here for you, too. We are your forum. We want you to talk to us. You don’t need to be a writer to have an opinion. Pitch a story. Stop by the newsroom and meet our staff. Write a letter to the editor.

We’re students just like you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...