Student media after the truth, not the feel-good story

College is a microcosm of the real world. Nursing majors work with patients during clinicals. Education majors work with students at schools during internships. Journalism majors work at student newspapers, television stations, radio stations and magazines. All of these experiences prepare us for the future – but in the meantime, we’re all learning.

As student journalists, we are the voice of the student body. We have a duty to report the truth, be it positive or negative. We aim to be as objective as possible in our attempts to tell every side of a story, because there is always more than one.

Not every story we write is intended to make you smile. We are journalists working in a newsroom, not consultants working for a public relations firm. We don’t always write what you want to read.

Many students and faculty members are quick to send staff members of UM’s student media nasty emails or degrading comments, without reaching out to us first. Although we do want your feedback and appreciate constructive criticism, please think about what you’re writing before you hit send.

During Student Government elections last year, there was controversy surrounding both tickets on the ballot. The results were postponed until the SG Supreme Court held a trial. When The Miami Hurricane published a story explaining the situation, our publication was accused of favoring a ticket.

The reality was that one ticket repeatedly declined to comment. We mentioned this fact in the story. However, this made reporting the facts difficult. Students, in comments posted on themiamihurricane.com, accused us of doing a “terrible job.” When someone declines to comment, there is nothing we can do.

Remember, we enter this business knowing that we won’t please everyone all the time. Put yourself in our shoes. We publish the truth, but the truth is not always what people want to hear.

To students who aren’t journalism majors: The paper is here for you, too. We are your forum. We want you to talk to us. You don’t need to be a writer to have an opinion. Pitch a story. Stop by the newsroom and meet our staff. Write a letter to the editor.

We’re students just like you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...