Student media after the truth, not the feel-good story

College is a microcosm of the real world. Nursing majors work with patients during clinicals. Education majors work with students at schools during internships. Journalism majors work at student newspapers, television stations, radio stations and magazines. All of these experiences prepare us for the future – but in the meantime, we’re all learning.

As student journalists, we are the voice of the student body. We have a duty to report the truth, be it positive or negative. We aim to be as objective as possible in our attempts to tell every side of a story, because there is always more than one.

Not every story we write is intended to make you smile. We are journalists working in a newsroom, not consultants working for a public relations firm. We don’t always write what you want to read.

Many students and faculty members are quick to send staff members of UM’s student media nasty emails or degrading comments, without reaching out to us first. Although we do want your feedback and appreciate constructive criticism, please think about what you’re writing before you hit send.

During Student Government elections last year, there was controversy surrounding both tickets on the ballot. The results were postponed until the SG Supreme Court held a trial. When The Miami Hurricane published a story explaining the situation, our publication was accused of favoring a ticket.

The reality was that one ticket repeatedly declined to comment. We mentioned this fact in the story. However, this made reporting the facts difficult. Students, in comments posted on themiamihurricane.com, accused us of doing a “terrible job.” When someone declines to comment, there is nothing we can do.

Remember, we enter this business knowing that we won’t please everyone all the time. Put yourself in our shoes. We publish the truth, but the truth is not always what people want to hear.

To students who aren’t journalism majors: The paper is here for you, too. We are your forum. We want you to talk to us. You don’t need to be a writer to have an opinion. Pitch a story. Stop by the newsroom and meet our staff. Write a letter to the editor.

We’re students just like you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...