Student media after the truth, not the feel-good story

College is a microcosm of the real world. Nursing majors work with patients during clinicals. Education majors work with students at schools during internships. Journalism majors work at student newspapers, television stations, radio stations and magazines. All of these experiences prepare us for the future – but in the meantime, we’re all learning.

As student journalists, we are the voice of the student body. We have a duty to report the truth, be it positive or negative. We aim to be as objective as possible in our attempts to tell every side of a story, because there is always more than one.

Not every story we write is intended to make you smile. We are journalists working in a newsroom, not consultants working for a public relations firm. We don’t always write what you want to read.

Many students and faculty members are quick to send staff members of UM’s student media nasty emails or degrading comments, without reaching out to us first. Although we do want your feedback and appreciate constructive criticism, please think about what you’re writing before you hit send.

During Student Government elections last year, there was controversy surrounding both tickets on the ballot. The results were postponed until the SG Supreme Court held a trial. When The Miami Hurricane published a story explaining the situation, our publication was accused of favoring a ticket.

The reality was that one ticket repeatedly declined to comment. We mentioned this fact in the story. However, this made reporting the facts difficult. Students, in comments posted on themiamihurricane.com, accused us of doing a “terrible job.” When someone declines to comment, there is nothing we can do.

Remember, we enter this business knowing that we won’t please everyone all the time. Put yourself in our shoes. We publish the truth, but the truth is not always what people want to hear.

To students who aren’t journalism majors: The paper is here for you, too. We are your forum. We want you to talk to us. You don’t need to be a writer to have an opinion. Pitch a story. Stop by the newsroom and meet our staff. Write a letter to the editor.

We’re students just like you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...