Program helps student veterans find niche on campus

The population of student veterans is making a strong comeback on campus. In order to address the growing number of University of Miami students, two programs will be working in tandem to help address the growing population’s needs.

“This has been a big step forward for the university,” Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Ombudsperson Dr. Gail Cole-Avent said. “It’s important we show the support for this student population; we want to make sure that they feel just as supported when they get back to school.”

Dr. Cole-Avent is registered as the adviser for the Veteran’s Student Organization, which recently received its approval from the Council of Student Organizations (COSO) last fall.

The student organization will work closely with the newly created Veteran’s Student Program to formally address the academic needs of student veterans, and help them adjust to the University of Miami’s campus and its curriculum.

The Veteran’s Student Program will be headquartered at the Dean of Students’ Office, and will be advised by Dean Dayle Wilson, the current assistant dean of students at the University of Miami.

The Veteran’s Student Organization has reached a total of 35 registered students on campus. As of last year, 350 faculty members and students on campus indicated that they are veterans.

According to Cole-Avent, the programs’ purpose is to “bring veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among veterans and students at UM.”

Additionally, the program has multiple goals it aims to accomplish, in order to better target this growing population.

At UM, both programs will work together to support military veterans, educate the UM community on veterans’ issues, establish a network of veterans to work with incoming veterans, and provide community service to disabled veterans at the Miami Veteran’s Administration Hospital.

“It’s about community development,” Dr. Cole-Avent said. “We know that when you  come to a new place, you often gravitate to those who have similar experiences before you go out to the big arena. The key thing is being able to say, ‘Here is a community for you, if you choose to be a part of it.’”

Being a veteran is not required to be part of the student organization.

“If you’re interested in the cause, you’re more than welcomed to participate,” Dr. Cole-Avent said.

She said she remembers the daughter of a veteran attending one of the organization’s meetings.

For more information, visit facebok.com/groups/UMVets.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...