Program helps student veterans find niche on campus

The population of student veterans is making a strong comeback on campus. In order to address the growing number of University of Miami students, two programs will be working in tandem to help address the growing population’s needs.

“This has been a big step forward for the university,” Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Ombudsperson Dr. Gail Cole-Avent said. “It’s important we show the support for this student population; we want to make sure that they feel just as supported when they get back to school.”

Dr. Cole-Avent is registered as the adviser for the Veteran’s Student Organization, which recently received its approval from the Council of Student Organizations (COSO) last fall.

The student organization will work closely with the newly created Veteran’s Student Program to formally address the academic needs of student veterans, and help them adjust to the University of Miami’s campus and its curriculum.

The Veteran’s Student Program will be headquartered at the Dean of Students’ Office, and will be advised by Dean Dayle Wilson, the current assistant dean of students at the University of Miami.

The Veteran’s Student Organization has reached a total of 35 registered students on campus. As of last year, 350 faculty members and students on campus indicated that they are veterans.

According to Cole-Avent, the programs’ purpose is to “bring veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among veterans and students at UM.”

Additionally, the program has multiple goals it aims to accomplish, in order to better target this growing population.

At UM, both programs will work together to support military veterans, educate the UM community on veterans’ issues, establish a network of veterans to work with incoming veterans, and provide community service to disabled veterans at the Miami Veteran’s Administration Hospital.

“It’s about community development,” Dr. Cole-Avent said. “We know that when you  come to a new place, you often gravitate to those who have similar experiences before you go out to the big arena. The key thing is being able to say, ‘Here is a community for you, if you choose to be a part of it.’”

Being a veteran is not required to be part of the student organization.

“If you’re interested in the cause, you’re more than welcomed to participate,” Dr. Cole-Avent said.

She said she remembers the daughter of a veteran attending one of the organization’s meetings.

For more information, visit facebok.com/groups/UMVets.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...