Take a bite into the Gables’ cheapest hotspots

Patagonia has a variety of Argentinean pastries on display for their guests to see. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Blowing $25 on dinner is painful when you make minimum wage. But then again, dining hall food can take a toll on your system too. Finding good food is the key to making it wihtout a home-cooked meal for two months – McDonalds just won’t cut it. Fortunately, being on a college campus means nearby restaurants have to cater to our tiny budgets. Most eateries in the area offer Canes discounts, so be sure to ask before you pay.

Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best places to grab a bite for $10 or less near campus.

Stir Moon

Stir Moon isn’t just the closest restaurant to campus – it’s right across U.S. 1 – but it’s also one of the tastiest. It features both Japanese and Thai menus.

Order the Pad Thai appetizer ($7.95), loaded with shrimp and chicken, which sits more like a main course than a starter. Or pair up a California roll ($5.50) with a small wonton soup ($4.50). If seafood isn’t your thing, you can try the chicken lettuce wraps ($7.95) or toasty steamed chicken buns ($6.95).

Stir Moon is located at 1100 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit stirmoon.com.

Miami’s Best Pizza

The name doesn’t lie – this place has some of Miami’s best pizza. And it’s cheap too. A slice of cheese pizza ($3.27) is the size of two normal slices, and the greasy goodness will keep you smiling while you chew your way to happiness. Slices are only served until 5 p.m. though, so after that it might be best to go with a friend or two. Order a small cheese pizza ($5.90) with half a dozen garlic rolls ($2.90) and chances are you’ll have leftovers to wash down your beers during your 2 a.m. Halo tournament.

Miami’s Best Pizza is located at 1514 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit miamisbestpizza.com.

Five Guys

Everyone knows that Five Guys has great burgers ($5.39). But have you tried anything else on the menu? They butterfly hot dogs ($3.49) when they cook them, so the meat comes out hot and plump all the way through. The toppings don’t cost extra on the dogs either, so you can load up and fill up.

If you’re not feeling the meat, you can always try a veggie sandwich ($2.99) which is all of their normal vegetables grilled up and packed in. Pair the sandwich with an order of cajun fries ($3.29) and you still have enough for a drink ($2.09).

Still not enough food? Have some free peanuts.

Five Guys is located at 1540 South Dixie Highway. For more information visit fiveguys.com.

Havana Harry’s

It wouldn’t be Miami without affordable Latin food. Havana Harry’s lunch specials are the way to go, with Cuban sandwiches ($7.75) piled high with ham, pork, mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, mustard and pickles on Cuban bread, and a side of fries, plantain chips or soup.

The daily specials are almost all under $10, like Wednesday’s ropa vieja ($8.95), shredded pork cooked in tomato and wine sauce, or Friday’s mojito chicken ($8.95), half a chicken cooked in a citrus marinade. All specials come with two sides too, including rice and beans, sweet plantains and french fries.

Havana Harry’s is located at 4612 South Le Jeune Road. For more information visit havanaharrys.net.

Patagonia

Good steak can be tough to find, and even more difficult when you’re on a budget. Fortunately Patagonia popped up on Miracle Mile and in South Miami to save us from our meatless despair. Savor one of their special dishes like grilled skirt steak ($8.99) or matambre ($7.99), a flank steak stuffed with eggs and vegetables and baked to perfection. All dishes come with a side of mashed potatoes, salad, Russian salad or french fries.

If you feel like eating with your hands, pick up a proscuitto and cheese sandwich ($4.99) and a glass of cabernet ($4.50)  or hot chicken breast sandwich ($7.99).

For locations and more information, visit nahuen.com.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...