Exploring Miami by land and by sea

Tourists and residents alike can explore the city on a South Beach duck tour that uses an amphibious vehicle to transition between land and water. The 90-minute tour gives a glimpse of the Art Deco District and celebrity homes. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Miami can go from the trendy and flashy hotspots on Ocean Drive to the hub for Cuban culture, Little Havana, in a 15-minute drive. And if you need a break from the city, the Everglades is just a car ride away. The Magic City’s diversity can make it intimidating to really explore your new home. Here are The Miami Hurricane’s picks for the best tours in the city.

Little Havana Culinary Tour

This two-hour walking tour takes groups through Little Havana on Saturday afternoons to sample Cuban cusine. On the tour, you’ll get a taste of Cuban food and culture, as your tour guide explains the historical landmarks around the neighborhood.

You’ll stop at well-known restaurants like Exquisito, where you can try a traditional Cuban sandwich, loaded up with ham, pork, Swiss cheese and pickles. You’ll also try traditional treats like pastelitos de guayaba (guava pastries) and jugo de guarapo (sugar cane juice).

The tour also makes pit stops at a cigar shop and Domino Park, where seniors challenge each other to usually dishonest games of dominos.

You can take the Little Havana Culinary tour on Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. The tour costs $59 per person. For more information, visit miamiculinarytours.com.

Duck Tours South Beach

Get to know Miami both by land and by sea. The Duck Tours South Beach’s claim to fame is its Hydra Terra vehicles, which travel on land and the ocean.

The 90-minute tour starts in South Beach and takes you through the historical Art Deco District. As you make your way south, the vehicle ends up sailing in the water around Star Island, where you’ll get to see the homes of celebrities like Shaq and Gloria Estefan.

Tour guides will keep you entertained with jokes and trivia. They ask questions, and if you get a question right, you’ll get your own duck bill that quacks when you blow on it. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t want that?

Duck Tours run multiple times per day throughout the week. The tour costs $34.24 per person. For more information, visit ducktourssouthbeach.com.

Blue Moon Kayaking Tours

If the Duck Tour leaves you wanting more of Miami’s waters, explore the city by kayak. Blue Moon Outdoor Center offers three different kayaking tours.

The two-hour Oleta Park Inside Tour will take you down the river through the mangrove trails. You’ll see jumping fish and herons, and if you’re lucky you might catch a glimpse of manatees or dolphins. If you want to take a swim, the group has snorkel gear for rent or you can bring your own.

The Oleta River Blue Marlin Fish House Tour is longer than the Inside Tour and ends with an optional lunch at the Blue Marlin Fish House, which is famous for its smoked fish dip.

Blue Moon also offers a Full Moon Kayak tour twice a month. The nighttime ride is two hours long with a 30-minute break for a bonfire and s’mores.

Days and times for the tours vary. The cost ranges between $40 to $75 per person. For more information, visit bluemoonmiami.com.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...