Artist raises money for cancer research

Junior Sarasmati Narasimhan’s signature henna tattoos bring smiles to her human canvases and help cancer patients in St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital through her nonprofit organization, Art for a Cause.

Narasimhan, an engineering and physics major, uses tattoos and other forms of artwork to raise money for the cancer treatment and research facilities at St. Jude’s, which does not turn down patients who can’t afford it.

“Every day is like a bonus day, and I believe I should do something with it,” Narasimhan said.

After discovering she was diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Disorder in October 2010, Narasimhan was inspired to create Art for a Cause.

RSD is a nerve disorder that causes severe chronic pain from excessive, abnormal responses of portions of the sympathetic nervous system, like blood pressure and heart-rate regulation. The disease is not fatal, but a cure has not been found.

“Every step feels like a fracture,” Narasimhan said. “Imagine a cancer patient’s pain, minus the cancer.”

With such overwhelming pain, most RSD patients are often bed-ridden like Narasimhan was.

Hospitalized at Sylvester Cancer Comprehensive Center, she started drawing to pass the time when she couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t long until other patients began offering money for her work.

“It was a really sudden change in everything,” Narasimhan said.

After being in a wheelchair until May 2011, Narasimhan made the decision to change her life, regardless of what her doctors felt.

“I thought that I’d make something good come out of this,” she said.

After abandoning her wheelchair, Narasimhan attempted to participate in everyday activities and pursue her interests, such as dancing. Her organization was another outlet for her to cope with her condition.

“Art for a Cause snowballed into something larger than I ever imagined,” she said.

Narasimhan recently participated in a campus-wide henna tattoo event. Students could receive henna tattoos in exchange for an optional donation.

“If you can’t give a donation, then that’s fine,” she said. “Get henna done because it makes you happy.”

The event raised $171 for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

Art for a Cause also has events in which Narasimhan fulfills requests for drawings of everything from henna doodles to figures of elegant ballerinas.

Narasimhan said she’s happy that Art for Cause funds can make a difference in the lives of families at St. Jude’s.

“A family gets a beach day because I did a painting,” she said.

Narasimhan also said she strongly encourages people to remember to live life to the fullest.

“Take time to do things that make you happy because you might not be able to later,” she said.

For more information on how to volunteer for Art for a Cause, visit the organization’s Facebook page, Art for a Cause.

Saira Sumbal

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...