Football, Sports

Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team

The next time Ray-Ray Armstrong suits up to play football, it won’t be as a member of the Miami Hurricanes.

The senior safety has been dismissed from the football team as of Wednesday morning. No reason was given, but the school, through a release, did state that Armstrong would be allowed to either finish his degree under scholarship at Miami or be granted a full release from the university.

Armstrong came to Miami in 2009 as a highly touted recruit out of Seminole High School. The safety, who was the top recruit from that class, was expected to be a big contributor to the Hurricanes defense this coming season.

During his tenure as a Cane, Armstrong has struggled with several discipline issues. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season by the NCAA for having accepted benefits by former athletic booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for a game in November against Florida State after having dinner with a representative from a public relations firm, although he was cleared for that incident.

With fall camp just a few weeks away, the Hurricanes will now have to fill a major void in their defense.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...