Football, Sports

Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team

The next time Ray-Ray Armstrong suits up to play football, it won’t be as a member of the Miami Hurricanes.

The senior safety has been dismissed from the football team as of Wednesday morning. No reason was given, but the school, through a release, did state that Armstrong would be allowed to either finish his degree under scholarship at Miami or be granted a full release from the university.

Armstrong came to Miami in 2009 as a highly touted recruit out of Seminole High School. The safety, who was the top recruit from that class, was expected to be a big contributor to the Hurricanes defense this coming season.

During his tenure as a Cane, Armstrong has struggled with several discipline issues. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season by the NCAA for having accepted benefits by former athletic booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for a game in November against Florida State after having dinner with a representative from a public relations firm, although he was cleared for that incident.

With fall camp just a few weeks away, the Hurricanes will now have to fill a major void in their defense.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...