Football, Sports

Ray-Ray Armstrong dismissed from football team

The next time Ray-Ray Armstrong suits up to play football, it won’t be as a member of the Miami Hurricanes.

The senior safety has been dismissed from the football team as of Wednesday morning. No reason was given, but the school, through a release, did state that Armstrong would be allowed to either finish his degree under scholarship at Miami or be granted a full release from the university.

Armstrong came to Miami in 2009 as a highly touted recruit out of Seminole High School. The safety, who was the top recruit from that class, was expected to be a big contributor to the Hurricanes defense this coming season.

During his tenure as a Cane, Armstrong has struggled with several discipline issues. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season by the NCAA for having accepted benefits by former athletic booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for a game in November against Florida State after having dinner with a representative from a public relations firm, although he was cleared for that incident.

With fall camp just a few weeks away, the Hurricanes will now have to fill a major void in their defense.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...