Scuba club takes a plunge in Florida’s open waters

Members of the UM scuba club stick together during a dive off of Juno Ledge in Jupiter, Fla. Courtesy Marina Knize

Miami, a city known for its golden coasts, is the perfect place for scuba diving. The University of Miami Scuba Club ensures that students have the opportunity to experience some of the deep-sea wonders that the waters have to offer.

“The club really gives you an opportunity to go out and see the underwater treasures of the ocean,” said Rhonda DuBord, associate director and club sports advisor at the Wellness Center.

One of the many appeals of joining is that, weather permitting, there is a dive every weekend during the semester. Beyond that, it is also a great way for students to experience diving and meet new people.

Senior Emily Harkness, one of the club’s co-presidents last year, met her good friend and fellow co-president Marina Knize on a dive during her freshman year.

“People really get to know each other. It’s really a big part of the club,” she said.

Dive locations span the state from Jupiter to Key Largo. The club travels to both coral reefs and shipwrecks.

Once underwater, it’s anyone’s guess what will be seen. As most of the members would testify, not knowing what they can encounter is part of the appeal.

“In one dive, we saw a nurse shark, barracuda and a moray eel,” said Lindsay Pilong, a freshman member.

The club also provides the opportunity to become scuba certified.  A certification is valid for life. The club has a deal with Underwater Unlimited, a local scuba instruction service. By joining the group, students can become certified quicker and cheaper than if they were to go through the process on their own.

Pilong was certified through the program.

“It was a two-week class, and the final weekend you go on four dives. It was a lot of fun,” she said.

At the end of each semester, the club goes on a camping trip during reading days before finals. The location varies each time and has been as far as Gainesville. The trip is a chance for students to get away from campus and enjoy time with friends and nature, members say.

The scuba club is a unique way for students to gain experience in the marine science field. They provide students with a firsthand experience that other students must wait until graduate school to receive. However, this does not restrict the club’s membership.

There are currently about 200 members in the scuba club. Membership dues are $40 per semester or $60 for the year. Free rentals are included in the membership, which can be used on the club dives and when a student chooses to go diving on his or her own time.

Students must pay for the price of each dive, which average $35. The club also offers a four-dive card for $100.

Victoria Hernandez

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...