Scuba club takes a plunge in Florida’s open waters

Members of the UM scuba club stick together during a dive off of Juno Ledge in Jupiter, Fla. Courtesy Marina Knize

Miami, a city known for its golden coasts, is the perfect place for scuba diving. The University of Miami Scuba Club ensures that students have the opportunity to experience some of the deep-sea wonders that the waters have to offer.

“The club really gives you an opportunity to go out and see the underwater treasures of the ocean,” said Rhonda DuBord, associate director and club sports advisor at the Wellness Center.

One of the many appeals of joining is that, weather permitting, there is a dive every weekend during the semester. Beyond that, it is also a great way for students to experience diving and meet new people.

Senior Emily Harkness, one of the club’s co-presidents last year, met her good friend and fellow co-president Marina Knize on a dive during her freshman year.

“People really get to know each other. It’s really a big part of the club,” she said.

Dive locations span the state from Jupiter to Key Largo. The club travels to both coral reefs and shipwrecks.

Once underwater, it’s anyone’s guess what will be seen. As most of the members would testify, not knowing what they can encounter is part of the appeal.

“In one dive, we saw a nurse shark, barracuda and a moray eel,” said Lindsay Pilong, a freshman member.

The club also provides the opportunity to become scuba certified.  A certification is valid for life. The club has a deal with Underwater Unlimited, a local scuba instruction service. By joining the group, students can become certified quicker and cheaper than if they were to go through the process on their own.

Pilong was certified through the program.

“It was a two-week class, and the final weekend you go on four dives. It was a lot of fun,” she said.

At the end of each semester, the club goes on a camping trip during reading days before finals. The location varies each time and has been as far as Gainesville. The trip is a chance for students to get away from campus and enjoy time with friends and nature, members say.

The scuba club is a unique way for students to gain experience in the marine science field. They provide students with a firsthand experience that other students must wait until graduate school to receive. However, this does not restrict the club’s membership.

There are currently about 200 members in the scuba club. Membership dues are $40 per semester or $60 for the year. Free rentals are included in the membership, which can be used on the club dives and when a student chooses to go diving on his or her own time.

Students must pay for the price of each dive, which average $35. The club also offers a four-dive card for $100.

Victoria Hernandez

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...