Sailing president contributes to growth, success

David Hernandez has been president of the Sailing Canes, won a host of race trophies and mentored the next generation of UM sailors.  It just so happens he can’t stand getting wet.

“Let’s play a game,” said freshman Kara Voss, president of the women’s sailing team, quoting Hernandez talking to his crew members.  “The game is: don’t get David wet.”

Voss said Hernandez tries to maneuver any crew he sails with so as to block himself from water splashing into the boat.

“Needless to say,” she joked, “when you sail with David, you get wet.”

What is most striking about Hernandez’s college sailing career, however, is his awareness of what he wants his legacy to be.

“Most of all, I want the team to keep growing,” he said.  “It isn’t something I want to graduate and forget about.  I want my kids to be sailing at UM one day.”

As a senior, Hernandez has been an integral part of the club’s growth from about 25 members to more than 60 in just a few years.  When asked how it happened, Hernandez credited the newest members of the team.

“Thank God for our freshmen,” he said.  “We have been able to win a number of district regattas by sending our next generation, and that’s huge. It’s going to be great to be able to hand the reins over to a group of guys that reminds me so much of the leaders on the team.”

One such new addition is David’s sister, Laura, a freshman.  A skipper in both practice and regattas for the team, Laura Hernandez hopes to mirror her brother’s commitment throughout her career.

“We would have no chance of being ranked 10th nationally or competing at the level we do without him,” she said.  “He has a great personality and, despite being a senior, is never intimidating, which makes it really easy to learn from him.”

Dylan Bensinger

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...