Promising season comes to disappointing end at Gonzaga

Former All-ACC guard Riquna Williams evades two North Carolina defenders on her way to the rim. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

Both Miami basketball teams’ seasons came to abrupt ends on opposite ends of the country last spring, as both were eliminated early in their respective postseason tournaments.

First the Miami men were mauled by Minnesota, 78-60, in a second-round NIT home game, and about half an hour later, the women’s magical season and push for the Final Four was spoiled against Gonzaga, 65-54.

One star was notably absent from each team. Senior Riquna Williams, the women’s second-leading scorer, was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and did not accompany the team on its trip to Spokane, Wash.

For the Miami women, the loss to Gonzaga ended what looked to be the team’s best chance at a deep postseason run in recent memory.

Senior Shenise Johnson scored 20 points and snagged 13 rebounds to close an illustrious career at Miami. But poor team shooting doomed the third-seeded Hurricanes against the sharp Gonzaga defense.

After the second-round upset, Miami Coach Katie Meier remained upbeat.

“We did not play our best basketball game, but we played as hard as we could possibly play,” she said. “Without any question, we fought and fought and fought and fought.”

After a season that included a second consecutive perfect record at the BankUnited Center, as well as a run at the top spot in the ACC, a loss to Gonzaga in the second round was not the way that many envisioned the season coming to an end.

But anyone thinking that the loss wil affect the team in the long-term will be surprised.

“I’m happy for Gonzaga. They represent women’s basketball. I’m happy for that community,” Meier said. “It’s an awesome environment and an awesome experience for us.”

Although Johnson and Williams will no longer don the orange and green uniforms any longer, both were selected in the first round of the 2012 WNBA Draft in April.

They became the third and fourth Hurricanes to be drafted in program history, with Johnson being taken fifth overall by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams was taken with the 17th pick overall by the Tulsa Shock.

I am so thrilled for Shenise and Riquna,” Meier said from the draft. “It is a dream-come-true moment for them both. It’s a statement to these young ladies and the great careers that they had.”

David Furones

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...