Promising season comes to disappointing end at Gonzaga

Former All-ACC guard Riquna Williams evades two North Carolina defenders on her way to the rim. Zach Beeker // Staff Photographer

Both Miami basketball teams’ seasons came to abrupt ends on opposite ends of the country last spring, as both were eliminated early in their respective postseason tournaments.

First the Miami men were mauled by Minnesota, 78-60, in a second-round NIT home game, and about half an hour later, the women’s magical season and push for the Final Four was spoiled against Gonzaga, 65-54.

One star was notably absent from each team. Senior Riquna Williams, the women’s second-leading scorer, was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and did not accompany the team on its trip to Spokane, Wash.

For the Miami women, the loss to Gonzaga ended what looked to be the team’s best chance at a deep postseason run in recent memory.

Senior Shenise Johnson scored 20 points and snagged 13 rebounds to close an illustrious career at Miami. But poor team shooting doomed the third-seeded Hurricanes against the sharp Gonzaga defense.

After the second-round upset, Miami Coach Katie Meier remained upbeat.

“We did not play our best basketball game, but we played as hard as we could possibly play,” she said. “Without any question, we fought and fought and fought and fought.”

After a season that included a second consecutive perfect record at the BankUnited Center, as well as a run at the top spot in the ACC, a loss to Gonzaga in the second round was not the way that many envisioned the season coming to an end.

But anyone thinking that the loss wil affect the team in the long-term will be surprised.

“I’m happy for Gonzaga. They represent women’s basketball. I’m happy for that community,” Meier said. “It’s an awesome environment and an awesome experience for us.”

Although Johnson and Williams will no longer don the orange and green uniforms any longer, both were selected in the first round of the 2012 WNBA Draft in April.

They became the third and fourth Hurricanes to be drafted in program history, with Johnson being taken fifth overall by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams was taken with the 17th pick overall by the Tulsa Shock.

I am so thrilled for Shenise and Riquna,” Meier said from the draft. “It is a dream-come-true moment for them both. It’s a statement to these young ladies and the great careers that they had.”

David Furones

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...