Florida State knocks Miami out of ACC tourney

Freshman Henrque Tsukamoto gears up for a backhand during his match against the UCF Knights. The NO. 69 Canes went 8-13 overall, but just 1-9 in the ACC. Zack Beeker // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes ended a  season full of ups and downs early in the ACC tournament.

Looking to make a run and potentially extend their 2012 campaign at least a few more days, the No. 69 Canes met their match against No. 32 Florida State in the first round of the tournament as the Seminoles came away with the 4-0 victory.

FSU notched two quick victories in the doubles matches to score the first point, and didn’t let up in singles play, taking the first three matches to secure the win.

“FSU was too strong in some spots today,” Hurricanes coach Mario Rincon said after the loss.

The Hurricanes’ year was one that showed glimpses of potential early on, but struggles in conference play derailed many of those hopes. The team finished 8-13 overall but finished 1-9 in the ACC, with the only win coming against Wake Forest at home in late March.

Though the young team had its share of struggles this past year, there is still plenty of opportunity for growth. All eight players that suited up this past year – including five underclassmen – will be back next year.

“We have a young, coachable team that loves to work hard,” Rincon said. “They will only get better at singles and doubles over the summer and into next year.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...