Florida State knocks Miami out of ACC tourney

Freshman Henrque Tsukamoto gears up for a backhand during his match against the UCF Knights. The NO. 69 Canes went 8-13 overall, but just 1-9 in the ACC. Zack Beeker // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes ended a  season full of ups and downs early in the ACC tournament.

Looking to make a run and potentially extend their 2012 campaign at least a few more days, the No. 69 Canes met their match against No. 32 Florida State in the first round of the tournament as the Seminoles came away with the 4-0 victory.

FSU notched two quick victories in the doubles matches to score the first point, and didn’t let up in singles play, taking the first three matches to secure the win.

“FSU was too strong in some spots today,” Hurricanes coach Mario Rincon said after the loss.

The Hurricanes’ year was one that showed glimpses of potential early on, but struggles in conference play derailed many of those hopes. The team finished 8-13 overall but finished 1-9 in the ACC, with the only win coming against Wake Forest at home in late March.

Though the young team had its share of struggles this past year, there is still plenty of opportunity for growth. All eight players that suited up this past year – including five underclassmen – will be back next year.

“We have a young, coachable team that loves to work hard,” Rincon said. “They will only get better at singles and doubles over the summer and into next year.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...