Florida State knocks Miami out of ACC tourney

Freshman Henrque Tsukamoto gears up for a backhand during his match against the UCF Knights. The NO. 69 Canes went 8-13 overall, but just 1-9 in the ACC. Zack Beeker // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes ended a  season full of ups and downs early in the ACC tournament.

Looking to make a run and potentially extend their 2012 campaign at least a few more days, the No. 69 Canes met their match against No. 32 Florida State in the first round of the tournament as the Seminoles came away with the 4-0 victory.

FSU notched two quick victories in the doubles matches to score the first point, and didn’t let up in singles play, taking the first three matches to secure the win.

“FSU was too strong in some spots today,” Hurricanes coach Mario Rincon said after the loss.

The Hurricanes’ year was one that showed glimpses of potential early on, but struggles in conference play derailed many of those hopes. The team finished 8-13 overall but finished 1-9 in the ACC, with the only win coming against Wake Forest at home in late March.

Though the young team had its share of struggles this past year, there is still plenty of opportunity for growth. All eight players that suited up this past year – including five underclassmen – will be back next year.

“We have a young, coachable team that loves to work hard,” Rincon said. “They will only get better at singles and doubles over the summer and into next year.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...