Florida State knocks Miami out of ACC tourney

Freshman Henrque Tsukamoto gears up for a backhand during his match against the UCF Knights. The NO. 69 Canes went 8-13 overall, but just 1-9 in the ACC. Zack Beeker // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes ended a  season full of ups and downs early in the ACC tournament.

Looking to make a run and potentially extend their 2012 campaign at least a few more days, the No. 69 Canes met their match against No. 32 Florida State in the first round of the tournament as the Seminoles came away with the 4-0 victory.

FSU notched two quick victories in the doubles matches to score the first point, and didn’t let up in singles play, taking the first three matches to secure the win.

“FSU was too strong in some spots today,” Hurricanes coach Mario Rincon said after the loss.

The Hurricanes’ year was one that showed glimpses of potential early on, but struggles in conference play derailed many of those hopes. The team finished 8-13 overall but finished 1-9 in the ACC, with the only win coming against Wake Forest at home in late March.

Though the young team had its share of struggles this past year, there is still plenty of opportunity for growth. All eight players that suited up this past year – including five underclassmen – will be back next year.

“We have a young, coachable team that loves to work hard,” Rincon said. “They will only get better at singles and doubles over the summer and into next year.”

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...