Offense mostly flat during spring scrimmage

Miami’s first Spring Game at Sun Life stadium was one to forget – at least offensively.

With the team split in two, the Orange squad bested the Green 7-6 in a game without many bright spots but a large amount of errors.

“We made a lot of progress in the spring,” coach Al Golden said. “There are a lot of guys not out there today, including five wide receivers and two running backs. There’s going to be a lot more competition in that room coming in August, and those guys know it.”

Ryan Williams, who looks to be Stephen Morris’ main competition for the starting quarterback job this fall, completed just 56 percent of his passes and threw two interceptions in a scoreless effort.

Morris missed the game as he continues to recover from back surgery.

The two freshmen passers opposite Williams – Gray Crow and Preston Dewey – fared no better, combining for 151 yards through the air on 33 attempts.

Though senior running back Mike James managed a rushing touchdown behind a depleted offensive line, both teams’ offensive performances were nothing short of anemic. Turnovers and penalties plagued the squads all afternoon, perhaps due to simple lack of execution or their opposition’s familiarity.

“We’ve been going up against that defense all spring, we know them and they know us, so I figured it was going to be a little back and forth,” James said. “Offensively you have days like that. Some days the offense will be on, sometimes not, but I’m just proud that the guys came out and tried hard. We’ll pick up there and carry it into the summer.”

James and the rest of the Hurricanes stayed positive in their immediate analysis. It was just one more step toward the fall, the culmination of the year’s first set of practices. The current lack of playmakers may be a symptom of the exodus of departed receivers and running backs after last year.

The players’ familiarity with the system in place and the coaches who run it are credited with the defensive transformation from liability to clear strength.  While last spring was a process of transitioning between coaching staffs and methods, the expectations were common knowledge entering training camp.

“We have more team unity right now, we’re trusting the coaches and everything they’re giving us,” safety Ray-Ray Armstrong said.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...