Study art at the Bass Museum

Miami Beach’s Bass Museum of Art not only features an array of historical and contemporary collections, but also hosts a weekly art club in which enthusiasts and novices alike meet to discuss all things art.

Every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m., the art club features a different event that helps attendees understand and navigate the art world. At the beginning of each month, Director of Education Adrienne von Lates offers lectures on art history.

“The mission of our art club is to create a fun, social atmosphere where adults can get together and explore art from all periods,” Lates said.

The next set of Thursdays includes contemporary art lectures, free art classes on painting and films about an artist or certain period, according to Kylee Crook, education program manager.

In February, Lates will give a lecture on “Modernist Forms-Political Content,” focusing on humor and the pathetic aesthetic. March will follow with topics like “Creating Mythologies” and “Sex and Desire.”

Free art classes cover mediums like painting and sculpture. Courses range from sculptures in studio mixed media to pop art, and are taught by Andrea Robbins, a Savannah College of Art and Design graduate.

The program is free for all museum guests. Admission to the museum is $8 for general admission, $6 for students and seniors, and free for Miami Beach residents.

Aside from the art club, the Bass Museum contains a historical and contemporary blend of art exhibits, a concert series that recently hosted flamenco dancers, and a children’s creativity center that promotes the arts at an early age.

“In comparison to other museums like the Miami Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bass is a nice departure from that aesthetic,” said freshman Natasha Mijares, who is majoring in art.

If You Go:

Where: 2100 Collins Ave.

Hours: Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

For more information, visit bassmuseum.org or call 305-673-7530.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...