Study art at the Bass Museum

Miami Beach’s Bass Museum of Art not only features an array of historical and contemporary collections, but also hosts a weekly art club in which enthusiasts and novices alike meet to discuss all things art.

Every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m., the art club features a different event that helps attendees understand and navigate the art world. At the beginning of each month, Director of Education Adrienne von Lates offers lectures on art history.

“The mission of our art club is to create a fun, social atmosphere where adults can get together and explore art from all periods,” Lates said.

The next set of Thursdays includes contemporary art lectures, free art classes on painting and films about an artist or certain period, according to Kylee Crook, education program manager.

In February, Lates will give a lecture on “Modernist Forms-Political Content,” focusing on humor and the pathetic aesthetic. March will follow with topics like “Creating Mythologies” and “Sex and Desire.”

Free art classes cover mediums like painting and sculpture. Courses range from sculptures in studio mixed media to pop art, and are taught by Andrea Robbins, a Savannah College of Art and Design graduate.

The program is free for all museum guests. Admission to the museum is $8 for general admission, $6 for students and seniors, and free for Miami Beach residents.

Aside from the art club, the Bass Museum contains a historical and contemporary blend of art exhibits, a concert series that recently hosted flamenco dancers, and a children’s creativity center that promotes the arts at an early age.

“In comparison to other museums like the Miami Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bass is a nice departure from that aesthetic,” said freshman Natasha Mijares, who is majoring in art.

If You Go:

Where: 2100 Collins Ave.

Hours: Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

For more information, visit bassmuseum.org or call 305-673-7530.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...