Study art at the Bass Museum

Miami Beach’s Bass Museum of Art not only features an array of historical and contemporary collections, but also hosts a weekly art club in which enthusiasts and novices alike meet to discuss all things art.

Every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m., the art club features a different event that helps attendees understand and navigate the art world. At the beginning of each month, Director of Education Adrienne von Lates offers lectures on art history.

“The mission of our art club is to create a fun, social atmosphere where adults can get together and explore art from all periods,” Lates said.

The next set of Thursdays includes contemporary art lectures, free art classes on painting and films about an artist or certain period, according to Kylee Crook, education program manager.

In February, Lates will give a lecture on “Modernist Forms-Political Content,” focusing on humor and the pathetic aesthetic. March will follow with topics like “Creating Mythologies” and “Sex and Desire.”

Free art classes cover mediums like painting and sculpture. Courses range from sculptures in studio mixed media to pop art, and are taught by Andrea Robbins, a Savannah College of Art and Design graduate.

The program is free for all museum guests. Admission to the museum is $8 for general admission, $6 for students and seniors, and free for Miami Beach residents.

Aside from the art club, the Bass Museum contains a historical and contemporary blend of art exhibits, a concert series that recently hosted flamenco dancers, and a children’s creativity center that promotes the arts at an early age.

“In comparison to other museums like the Miami Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bass is a nice departure from that aesthetic,” said freshman Natasha Mijares, who is majoring in art.

If You Go:

Where: 2100 Collins Ave.

Hours: Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

For more information, visit bassmuseum.org or call 305-673-7530.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...