Student Activities Center construction takes shape

During the spring of 2011, the Rathskeller was located next to Lake Osceola –  and the new 119,368-square-foot Student Activities Center (SAC) was just a drawing on a map.

Now, more than a year later, the old Rat has been leveled and the bones of the SAC tower over the lake. Construction crews poured the last of the concrete in May.

Dan Westbrook, the director of the University Center (UC), and Dr. Pat Whitely, the vice president for student affairs, held a town hall meeting on April 17 to update students on the progress of the new building and address any concerns. During the meeting, Whitely and Westbrook outlined the layout the new three-story complex.

“We want to have the pulse and heart beat of student life to be in the new center,” Whitely said.

The Rat, which will be located near the Frost School of Music, will have two floors, with pool tables on the second story, reminiscent of the old Rat.

The rest of the first floor will include a social study space for students, ATMs, and three retail shops. According to Westbrook, the first-floor social study space may become a 24-hour study area for students.

“We have to make provisions for cleaning and security, but it’s a real possibility,” he said.

On the second floor, there will be a suite for undergraduate student organizations, student media, the Graduate Student Association, some administrative offices and a hallway dedicated to banner-painting.

All the student offices that are currently located in the University Center will be moved to the SAC. There will then be two to three rooms remaining in the SAC for which other student organizations can apply. There will also be approximately 10 to 20 cubicles and about 20 lockers available for organizations to use.

“We’re definitely looking forward to the new Student Activities Center, with the benefits of the new building, new furniture and new technology,” said Hong-Uyen Hua, the incoming president of the Committee on International Student Organizations.

The third floor of the SAC will feature a ballroom capable of seating more than 1,000 people. There will also be a reception area overlooking the lake and a kitchen for caterers. Students will also have a new pantry and meeting rooms.

UC Renovations

The SAC will work alongside the existing University Center, UC Patio, pool and other outdoor spaces at the university to create an entire student center complex. As such, the UC is also getting a face lift this summer.

The wall separating the stairwell from the Lower Lounge will be removed and the upstairs meeting rooms will be equipped with new projectors. The UC will still be open to students all summer.

“I think the renovations are great,” said senior Allison Norris, who is an incoming student at UM’s School of Law. “We’re becoming such a better school and attracting better students, and paying more tuition for it, so it’s long overdue.”

Additionally, the UC Patio will receive a new amphitheater, which will be located at the far end of the patio. It will replace the current stage.

Construction will continue into the fall semester. The patio will be partially closed but students and faculty will still have access to the Rat gliders and some of the patio next to them. Westbrook expects the patio to fully reopen in the spring.

Also, in the fall, students will have a statue of the “U” located near the Rock.  The statue will be made of stainless steel and will showcase the school’s orange and green logo.

“We never really had anything central to campus that people could take pictures with or touch on the way to a final,” said Brandon Mitchell, former Student Government president. “It’ll improve the spirit on campus from the minute it is there.”

SAC Website

Students can use the new SAC website launched by the Division of Student Affairs to track the progress of the construction of the building.

Whitely said the website will allow students, staff, faculty and alumni to follow “this transformative building.”

The SAC website features a frequently asked questions section, construction photos, a live camera, an interactive timeline and details on the building’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.

The LEED Green Building Rating System measures factors such as materials selection and energy efficiency. The university is striving to implement many sustainable features in the SAC in order to obtain the best possible LEED rating, according to the website.

To view the website, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_activities_center.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...