Self-defense class offered on campus

Learn how to defend yourself the way an Israeli soldier does.

The Hillel Center on the University of Miami campus is now offering classes in Krav Maga, which is Hebrew for contact combat. It is the official self-defense system of the Israeli Defense Force.

The self-defense technique was first created by Imi Lichtenfeld in an effort to protect Jewish neighborhoods against growing anti-Semitism in Europe, said Roiy Frenkel, the program coordinator for Israel at the Hillel Center. Lichtenfeld used his background as a wrestler and boxer to develop Krav Maga.

The class emphasizes techniques like striking, wrestling and tackling. This focus is what motivated Enrique “Rick” Prado to learn Krav Maga, who now teaches the class at Hillel.

“People should learn how to defend themselves, and I believe this is one of the most effective systems out there,” he said. “Krav Maga is a no-nonsense system that deals with real-life situations.”

The class allows students to learn how to escape from chokes and headlocks, throw punches and kicks, and even fight against a firearm.

The system is also currently used by United States local law enforcement, federal agencies, state police, SWAT and special operations teams.

“It’s an all-encompassing self-defense system,” Prado said.

The benefits of Krav Maga extend beyond learning self-defense.

“You become so much more aware about your surroundings,” said Walter Lieber, a Coral Gables resident who is a regular participant in Krav Maga classes.

Aside from enhanced self-defense and awareness, the system also allows those who practice it to think in a different state of mind.

“If you get into a situation, even if you do not remember what to do, you are trained to know that you should think, not panic,” Lieber said.

For more information on the classes, or a full class schedule, search “self-defense class” on miami.edu.

Saira Sumbal

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...