Program gives free rides on weeknights

A late-night ride home is now just a phone call away.

Mid-way through the spring semester, Student Government (SG) launched an on-demand transit program called SafeRide, in which students can receive a car ride from Sunday through Thursday between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. simply by making a phone call.

The program offers students a ride anywhere on campus and to any of the roads surrounding campus, including Ponce De Leon Boulevard, Red Road, San Amaro Drive, Campo Sano Avenue, and Pisano Avenue.

SG Press Secretary AJ Ricketts said that, along with the support of Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Pat Whitely, the SafeRide program will expand this upcoming fall semester, from a pilot program to a campus-wide initiative in the fall.

“Plenty of people get into jams at night that could use the service,” senior Peter Graber said. “Certain majors that carry more than others like music students would need it because they have instruments.”

However, SG wants to emphasize SafeRide’s importance to all students, not just those in the Frost School of Music or School of Communication, who would be carrying heavy equipment. It can help students avoid dangerous situations late at night, SG President Nawara Alawa said.

“They won’t have to walk through sketchy areas to get home at night,” Speaker Pro-tempore Doug Aguililla said.

He created the program, and modeled it after a similar program he noticed in place at Florida State University.

Though the current bus routes don’t cross to U.S.-1, Alawa and the SG team hope to work with the Department of Parking and Transportation in order to expand the bus’ routes.

SafeRide will supplement the current emergency blue light phones, which students can use to call the police.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...