iPads give nutritional facts at campus eateries

Nutritional information is now a tap and swipe away in the dining halls and food court.

Dining Services, in conjunction with Chartwells, has installed kiosks with mounted iPads that allow students to access the nutritional information of items on the menu and provide feedback on Chartwells’ service via an app.

The system is being tested at the University of Miami and the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

“We’re working with Chartwells to work more proactively when approaching issues,” said Sandra Redway, the executive director of Dining Services. “The more we hear, the better we are.”

Students have had access to nutritional information online and in menus that could be requested at the dining halls in the past, Redway said.

“Before there were large manuals you had to thumb through for information and they weren’t easily accessible,” she said. “With the new system, it’s at your fingertips.”

Since Redway came to campus in 2010, the new addition has been a work in progress.

Following town hall meetings and forums with students, Redway said UM Dining Services has been taking student input into account.

To ensure that Dining Services heard what students have to say, former Student Government (SG) Press Secretary Mike Piacentino also serves as the social media marketing intern for UM Dining.

Student Government and UM dining see the value in increased transparency, Piacentino said. He believes the students will appreciate it as well.

“I think once students are aware of the kiosks, it’ll be a staple in the dining halls,” he said.  “It’s a very useful tool.”

Some students think the new addition to the food court and dining halls is useful.

“I think it’s a great idea,” junior Ariana Salmon said. “It’s always comforting to know I’m making the right diet choices.”

Others are unsure if the iPads will actually be used.

“I think it’s cool for people to look at, but I don’t think many will use it,” sophomore Ailynn Nguyen said. “People come hungry, and they’re not going to stop and check the nutrition, especially with long lines at lunch time.”

SG is also currently working with Dining Services on initiatives, including a take-out option in dining halls for students. They are considering other input from students.

They are also working to bring a separate dessert spot to campus, such as an ice cream shop, but permit issues have been a roadblock thus far, Piacentino said.

Hyan Freitas

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...