Future teachers partner with local high schools

Senior Andrew DeMuro talks to Mr. Jack Hart’s AP psychology class at the Booker T. Washington High School. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Andrew DeMuro’s history students at Booker T. Washington Senior High School didn’t understand how learning about Napoleon Bonaparte, the 18th-century Frenchman, could be useful to them.

DeMuro, a spring 2012 graduate from the University of Miami’s School of Education and Human Development, taught his students that lessons about the historical French leader are still important because “that short kid in class you pick on in school, could one day grow up to be your boss.”

“If you can’t get them into what you’re saying, then you’re screwed for the rest of the day,” DeMuro said. “You have to think like them to understand them.”

That was just part of DeMuro’s job as a student-teacher at Booker T. Washington, which is located in Overtown, a high-needs area in Miami’s inner city.

His work is part of a partnership between the School of Education and Human Development’s department of Teaching and Learning at the university and Booker T. Washington Senior High School.

This partnership with an inner-city school is the first of its kind at UM. The main goal is to develop a continuous relationship with the high school while providing participating UM students the experience of working within a secondary school.

Although it’s relatively new, Wendy Cavendish, who serves as the liaison between the teaching and learning department and the high school, said their work is already making a strong, positive impact.

“It’s a partnership where the high school is very much interested in us working with them and in return there are opportunities for our students,” Cavendish said. “It’s important to recognize that we don’t just provide a service – the relationship is mutually beneficial.”

For the high school students, the benefit is not just in gaining new teachers, but also in exposing them to the college experience. For the student-teachers, there’s just as much to be learned from the mentors they work with and the students as well.

“It’s the perfect combination,” said senior Kevin Cook, who is involved in the partnership. “It’s working with amazing teachers and the toughest kids.”

Although working within the curriculum dictated by the public school system is a challenge within itself, Cook, DeMuro and Cavendish all see it as a chance to make a difference at Miami’s inner-city schools, and in the Overtown community.

“I’m excited to be part of a greater movement to fix a system that’s failing,” DeMuro said. “I can make a difference and watch it happen.”

They also hope the School of Education and Human Development will expand its programs to other students, allowing for more ways to experience working with the high school students.

The partnership and related programs are currently only open to students majoring in the School of Education and Human Development. For information on the Department of Teaching and Learning, visit education.miami.edu, or visit the Office of Undergraduate Academic Services in Merrick Building Room 312.

Hyan Freitas

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...